Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default I can't beleive I just did this...

but I just removed my own Mirena IUD on purpose.

For a long time the benefits of the Mirena outweighed the not so good stuff. Over time, things shifted. I really feel like I've been a crazy, irrational, moody bi*** since I've gotten it and that mood/feeling (and depression) has only snowballed. It's not fair to me or my kids and husband. I want my kids to know the real me. Not this crazy person I've become.

We were planning on getting the Mirena out later this year. But my mood has been getting worse. Everything points to the Mirena. Either that or my son because I got the IUD 6 weeks after he was born and I'd really hate to put all this feeling on my sweet little boy.

So, I was googling Mirena. And then I started reading a lot. And then I pulled it out about 10 minutes ago and sent a text to DH to pick up condoms. No pain. I do expect bleeding in a few days though. But I am so happy to be rid of that device. Hopefully I won't have a "mirena crash".

and I can't believe I did that!

Omg I cannot believe you pulled it out yourself. That would totally scare me! Did it hurt a ton?

ETA I'm glad you shared your symptoms because I've stuck with my Paraguard IUD because I am a nut on hormonal BCP. My midwives think I'm crazy & tried many times to get me to switch to mirena. I just don't want any hormones messing with me. I've got enough of my own thankyouverymuch.
    Last edited by ShanaMama; 05-22-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Op, I had a friend with almost the exact experience as yours. She hated hers and had to have it reinserted a couple times when it came out and finally went back tot he doc to get it taken out all together, since it just wast working for her at all.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by ShanaMama View Post
    Omg I cannot believe you pulled it out yourself. That would totally scare me! Did it hurt a ton?

ETA I'm glad you shared your symptoms because I've stuck with my Paraguard IUD because I am a nut on hormonal BCP. My midwives think I'm crazy & tried many times to get me to switch to mirena. I just don't want any hormones messing with me. I've got enough of my own thankyouverymuch.
    It was easier than taking out a tampon. Except finding the damn stings . That was the hardest part.

I had never been moody nor had PMS pre-IUD, no chocolate cravings. However, after IUD, pms and chocolate cravings were just the beginning. I used to joke with dh that if this was me on the IUD, then I'd hate to see someone who naturally had those symptoms on hormones.

Pre-kids, I was on bcp's for ten years with no problems. Nearly 3 years with my IUD and I'm done. It worked great for a while, but the volotile mood swings and depression were getting too much.

I have read about a Mirena crash, after the hormones are removed. I hope I don't experience that.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I know several people who have had similar issues with the Mirena. They felt like a new woman once it was out!

I can't believe you removed it yourself! WOW You are one tough chick! I had some pain when my Paragard was removed ... but nothing close to the pain I had when it was inserted. I tried to give the iud a chance but it just wasn't right for me.... I was so happy once it was out!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I hated my Mirena. I stuck with it for 9mos before having it removed. In addition to be a crazy, hormonal mess, I spotted like the entire time. It gave me an ovarian cyst that went away once the Mirena was removed (my ob/gyn said IUD can cause them). My doc said I was her only patient to ever ask for it to be removed because of side effects. I find that hard to believe because it seems like a lot of women aren't a fan.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was very tempted to pull mine out a few years ago but I was too scared. I stuck it out for over a year with mine and didn't realize just how many side effects I had from it until it was removed. I know it works really well for some people but that was not my experience.

OP - I never experienced a Mirena crash. At the time I had it removed, it was because it was basically falling out and it was causing lots of heavy periods. I had developed a fibroid and a cyst. At one point my OB thought I might need surgery to remove the fibroid and he had proposed reinserting a new Mirena at the same time so that he could make sure it goes in high up. I initially thought that would be a good idea because I really wanted the Mirena to work for me.

Within two days of having it removed I felt so much better that I decided I never wanted a Mirena again. It's been out for 3 years now and I have never experienced any of the crazy emotional or physical side effects again.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    I can't believe you removed it yourself! WOW You are one tough chick! I had some pain when my Paragard was removed ... but nothing close to the pain I had when it was inserted. I tried to give the iud a chance but it just wasn't right for me.... I was so happy once it was out!
    The Mirena is a very flexable piece of plastic. The "arms" of it fold up when it's being pulled out. Actually, the pamphlet that tells drs how to put it in, pretty much just says to grab hold of the strings and pull for removal. Really no pain. It was mind over matter. (and courage from reading about other women doing the same thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeys_mom View Post
    OP - I never experienced a Mirena crash. At the time I had it removed, it was because it was basically falling out and it was causing lots of heavy periods. I had developed a fibroid and a cyst. At one point my OB thought I might need surgery to remove the fibroid and he had proposed reinserting a new Mirena at the same time so that he could make sure it goes in high up. I initially thought that would be a good idea because I really wanted the Mirena to work for me.

Within two days of having it removed I felt so much better that I decided I never wanted a Mirena again. It's been out for 3 years now and I have never experienced any of the crazy emotional or physical side effects again.
    Thanks for this! Right now I'm doing my best to stay positive and tell myself I'm better.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I hated my Mirena. I stuck with it for 9mos before having it removed. In addition to be a crazy, hormonal mess, I spotted like the entire time. It gave me an ovarian cyst that went away once the Mirena was removed (my ob/gyn said IUD can cause them). My doc said I was her only patient to ever ask for it to be removed because of side effects. I find that hard to believe because it seems like a lot of women aren't a fan.
    Good for you! And, yeah, I'm surprised by your doc that more women aren't asking for it to be removed.

It's been a year since I realized where my symptoms were coming from to finally say "Enough!"

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I hear you about the symptoms, and good for you for doing something about it!

I had my Mirena for maybe 5 years. The benefits were great - no period! But I had a low level of anxiety that followed me everywhere, something I'd never experienced before, as well as a non-existent sex drive (even close to repulsion to sex). It never occurred to me that it was the mirena until I saw something on here, and then it all clicked. I had also been on the pill for many years before kids with no apparent issues.

I had it removed and I felt SO much better.

I feel like a lot of women don't know about these kind of side effects, so don't attribute it to the Mirena.

I had the Paraguard for about 8 months, but couldn't deal with the really long heavy periods. Now I'm back on the pill (which is better than the Mirena, but I'm thinking some of the issues are creeping back in).

Birth control is such a pain!

But again, good for you taking it out when you needed to!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast