Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Baby w/ chest congestion

Is there anything I can do besides steamy showers to loosen things up? We all have this yucky cold (yes, right after my 10 day of antibiotics for the sinus infection leftover from the flu starting Dec. 28...I have been sick for a whole month). But back to the baby. He has had a fever off and on since Wednesday night but he seems to be feeling ok now and he is fever free. He is playing and eating like normal but his chest is very rattley. A couple questions:

What can I do to clear it up? Will vicks baby rub help?

What should I look out for in terms of warning signs for bronchitis or pneumonia? If he stays fever-free should we be in the clear? I know things can go south quickly with stuff like that but what should I look out for?

We do a humidifier in DD2's room at night which helps. Also if you have a nebulizer you can give saline. DD2 has lung issues and had acute bronchiolitis a few months ago and the doctor said to listen for wheezing or labored breathing, lethargy and if her coloring changes (Paleness, purple, or blue). When she had the bronchiolitis, she was gasping and wheezing and her breathing was really loud.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Mamas here swear by putting regular vaporub on the baby's feet and putting socks on them. Do NOT use regular vaporub on their chests, though. Not safe.

We used a humidifier, saline nose spray, the baby wash for colds and flu with eucalyptus in it, and vaporub on the feet.

ETA: When Lula had pneumonia she was lethargic, had a high fever and her fingernails were bluish.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My baby has severe asthma, so any chest congestion requires us to go to the dr and lands us in the hospital more often than not.

I would watch for lethargy, dehydration (coughing to point of throwing up), wheezing, and turning blue around the lips and nose while crying.

Using saline and a bulb syringe to suck out the nose and a cool mist humidifier can help loosen the stuff up. If he runs a fever for more than a day or two, I'd call the dr. There is so much junk going around right now.

Hope he and your family feel better soon!

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our dr always reminds us to elevate dc's bed a little on under the head to Help with drainage, and use that saline and bulb so they can eat(drink) well.
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS was rattly and I just thought it was a regular cold. No fever and not really any other symptoms. He was wheezing when the dr listened to him, but I couldn't hear it. I took him in after about 5 days because DS1 had just had pneumonia (but also had high fever, coughing, etc) and really thought we had nothing. He had RSV and was almost hospitalized, so I"m no help on symptoms to watch for.

I would elevate his head, suction his nose with saline, run humidifier, and make sure to keep him hydrated.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    DS was rattly and I just thought it was a regular cold. No fever and not really any other symptoms. He was wheezing when the dr listened to him, but I couldn't hear it. I took him in after about 5 days because DS1 had just had pneumonia (but also had high fever, coughing, etc) and really thought we had nothing. He had RSV and was almost hospitalized, so I"m no help on symptoms to watch for.

I would elevate his head, suction his nose with saline, run humidifier, and make sure to keep him hydrated.
    how do they diagnose RSV?

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Look for more rapid than normal breathing and if he's air hungry (sucking in hard to get a bteath to where you can see his ribs on inhalation).

If breathing is OK, try alternating warm (steamy shower) and cool (outside if it's cold or open the freezer door) air.

Hope he feels better soon!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think they take a sample from the nose. DD had a cold from the moment she started daycare at 5 months. When she spiked a fever I brought her in. They thought rsv but she tested negative. We elevated her crib and gave her a nightly baths. I also used saline. I have heard that bulbs can get moldy inside so be careful with them. For DD, the prolong cold, yuckiness, ends up with an ear infection. She rarely gets a fever. Hope he feels better soon.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD had RSV right before Christmas. She had been fighting a cold for a few days, but I took her in because she woke up in the middle of the night breathing very rapidly and was just pitiful. They diagnosed bronchiolitis and double ear infection and did a nasal swab that was positive for RSV.

I would do humidifier, Vicks on his feet, saline spray/drops, and just watch him, but take him in if you are worried.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast