♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default help! preventing tummy upset from abx??

DH took DS to the doctor today and turns out he has a sinus infection plus an ear infection. Negative on flu test, though he is congested, minimal appetite, and THere is mucusy stuff coming out of his eyes and they are super watery and red. He had an EI over Christmas and either he has another one or that one never really went away so dr prescribed a stronger abx (Augmentin). He just spiked 102 temp again this evening. DH said he was super hyper all day, so i guess it's a fever side effect.

this is the part that i hate. I detest antibiotics. They wreak major havoc on tummies here. Despite giving culturelle in their pedialyte twice a day we still get tummy aches and occasional vomiting and diarrhea. Is there another way to helps prevent tummy ache??

AmyZ is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Florastor
    Our string quartet is complete

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Probiotics. Just make sure not to give them close in time to each other, because they'll both make the other less effective, so wait a couple of hours after each dose.

oneontheway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Probiotics for sure. I believe florastor makes one just for kids.
    DS 2005
    DD 2007
    DS 2010
    and a Junebug in 2013

Eat before taking and continue to eat small amounts throughout the day. I usually eat a lot crackers and the like.

Sorry.

Catherine

Coconut water instead of pedialyte, I find its better on my kids tummy. I also give them kambucha. They love it and it has lots of probiotics.
    DS1 - 08
    DS2 - 11

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

probiotics twice a day ... make sure they eat with the antibiotics. Augmentin gives me the nastiest metallic taste in my mouth the entire time I am taking them. Hope the 10 days go by quickly! My DS did much better on Omnicef ... his EI's didn't respond well to Augmentin or amoxicillin.