Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I am on 1 pill/2x per day for 10 days... I am on day 2 and already feeling ick. I don't usually have problems with antibiotics.

Thanks everybody for advice!
    DS1 2/2007
    DS2 10/2010

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ecofem View Post
    I am on 1 pill/2x per day for 10 days... I am on day 2 and already feeling ick. I don't usually have problems with antibiotics.

Thanks everybody for advice!
    I was just on augmentin for 10 days, 2 times a day. I have never felt so awful. I was so nauseous and had a metallic taste in my mouth. It didn't kill my sinus infection either. This was after a round of Omnicef. When my ENT wanted to continue with a 3rd round of abx I asked to go back on the Omicef cause the Augmentin made me feel so awful. I am 2 days away from being done with the Omnicef and still having green mucus.... at least the pain in my face seems to have cleared up though.

I refuse to go on a 4th round of antbiotics.... I am going to see about a visit with the acupuncturist and see if he can drain my sinuses and maybe look into some other homeopathic options.

Hope the Augmentin clears your sinus infection.... it is hard on the tummy... drink lots of water/fluids and make sure you take it with food.

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Five Lac, available on amazon.com (if you choose amazon as the seller then you can save 15% using subscribe and save) has worked by far the best for my IBS and yeast issues (better than the refrigerated ones IME).

Align and Florastor also get pretty good reviews and are available in B&M stores.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ecofem View Post
    I am on 1 pill/2x per day for 10 days.
    Thank you for letting me know. It sounds like a 10-day course is pretty typical. I hope the probiotics help you feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    I was just on augmentin for 10 days, 2 times a day. I have never felt so awful. I was so nauseous and had a metallic taste in my mouth. It didn't kill my sinus infection either. This was after a round of Omnicef. When my ENT wanted to continue with a 3rd round of abx I asked to go back on the Omicef cause the Augmentin made me feel so awful. I am 2 days away from being done with the Omnicef and still having green mucus.... at least the pain in my face seems to have cleared up though.

I refuse to go on a 4th round of antbiotics.... I am going to see about a visit with the acupuncturist and see if he can drain my sinuses and maybe look into some other homeopathic options.

Hope the Augmentin clears your sinus infection.... it is hard on the tummy... drink lots of water/fluids and make sure you take it with food.
    Wow I am so sorry you've had so much trouble getting rid of your sinus infection. It sounds like a nightmare. It sounds like maybe your sinuses need to be drained like you said.

I've been on Augmentin several times over the years and have never really had too much stomach upset, although the pharmacist did recommend a probiotic along with it the last time I got it. I still have them, so I might take them this time too... although I'm not sure if probiotics expire, and they've been in the fridge for about a year.

mjmamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My super health conscious friend recommends PB8
    SAHM Mamma to 4

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I and both kids take Culturelle. It's the one probiotic that has been used in the majority of the scientific studies (400+) that show the benefits of probiotics. It contains Lactobacillus GG and is shelf stable (although I keep it in the fridge once I get it). The cheapest place to get it is from Vitacost.com for about $15 for a 30 day supply, but they do sell it at Target, CVS, etc (you'll just pay more). Some independent group also looked at different probiotics to see how many actually contained the amount of bacteria that is advertised on the package (most start out with the amount they say, but only a few guarantee that amount once the package is opened). Culturelle is one of the few that actually contained the amount advertised when opened (10 billion cells).

Oh, and I highly recommend the book The Probiotics Revolution. It tells you which strain of bacteria is best for different problems (general health, increased immunity, digestive issues, eczema, yeast, etc) so you know what probiotic is best to buy at the store.

The Probiotics Revolution
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553384198
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mariza is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I used to take Culturelle with good effects then got away from taking any for a while. Recently I ordered some Align from Amazon (decent price through subscribe & save). With Align both DH and I had some "tricky" first couple of days, but after the 3rd day things seemed to regulate a bit. If you work outside the home I would recommend starting Align on a day you will be close to home but I have been happy with it now that Ive been taking it for 3 weeks.
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I and both kids take Culturelle. It's the one probiotic that has been used in the majority of the scientific studies (400+) that show the benefits of probiotics. It contains Lactobacillus GG and is shelf stable (although I keep it in the fridge once I get it). The cheapest place to get it is from Vitacost.com for about $15 for a 30 day supply, but they do sell it at Target, CVS, etc (you'll just pay more). Some independent group also looked at different probiotics to see how many actually contained the amount of bacteria that is advertised on the package (most start out with the amount they say, but only a few guarantee that amount once the package is opened). Culturelle is one of the few that actually contained the amount advertised when opened (10 billion cells).

Oh, and I highly recommend the book The Probiotics Revolution. It tells you which strain of bacteria is best for different problems (general health, increased immunity, digestive issues, eczema, yeast, etc) so you know what probiotic is best to buy at the store.

The Probiotics Revolution
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553384198
    Should I be refrigerating pills?
    SAHM Mamma to 4

mariza is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Depends on which ones you buy. Culturelle as I recall should be refrigerated but the Align I currently take does not require it.
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

Thanks Mariza, I'm new to the probiotics world
    SAHM Mamma to 4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2