Thread: Asthma question

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Asthma question

My 2 yo DS was dx with RAD in Nov and now asthma. He had been coughing every night, and only mildly improved with Albuterol so we added Pulmicort and a second round of orapred a few weeks ago. We had ONE night with no cough and then slowly got worse to now non-stop coughing. Went back to dr today and she added Singulair and another round of Orapred. Gave that to him as soon as we got home @10am. Then gave Albuterol at 2pm, no improvement. Nothing is helping. He's still coughing every 5 seconds or so. What else can we do? Will it just take time for the new meds to kick in? Am I missing something here?

oraped takes about 12 hours to kick in. i would give him more albuterol (2 puffs via spacer) and call the doctor. if he's having wheezing or has a tight chest, then i recommend taking him in so they can give him albuterol via nebulizer.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle12 View Post
    oraped takes about 12 hours to kick in. i would give him more albuterol (2 puffs via spacer) and call the doctor. if he's having wheezing or has a tight chest, then i recommend taking him in so they can give him albuterol via nebulizer.
    I will be counting off the hours to 12! We're actually administering the Albuterol and Pulmicort via nebulizer at home. The Albuterol says every 4 to 6 hours as needed. But I'm not noticing it helping at all. Actually, just noticed it's been 4 hours so I'm going to go ahead and try it again and then do Pulmicort. The coughing has given me a headache, I can't imagine how he feels!

Be careful. My 6 yo daughter has asthma and just spent 5 nights in the hospital with pneumonia. The treatments were not stopping her coughing with the same med's you are on. The Er took a chest X-ray and there was pneumonia.

Good luck,

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by melissaflorida View Post
    Be careful. My 6 yo daughter has asthma and just spent 5 nights in the hospital with pneumonia. The treatments were not stopping her coughing with the same med's you are on. The Er took a chest X-ray and there was pneumonia.

Good luck,

Melissa
    I am so sorry about your DD! Pneumonia is what started this whole mess back in Nov. So scary to see your DC like that. I thought for sure when we went in today we would be sent for chest Xray, but his chest sounded clear. I'm lying in bed with him so I can listen tonight, and he is breathing faster.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I actually would take him to the ER based on what you describe.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

the steroids should be kicking in now...if not, i would call the doctor/urgent care. they can administer a lot more albuterol via nebs to get it under control...

good luck -- hope you all can get some rest tonite!!

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I actually would take him to the ER based on what you describe.
    I agree!