fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Sick, no pregnancy symptoms, and perhaps, have fever

So, I caught something that's apparently going around. I haven't felt this bad in a long time. I have a terrible sinus infection, a head cold, a 99.9 fever, and I am 7 1/2 weeks pregnant. I haven't had my prenatal appt. yet so I don't know if calling the OB will help. I called my primary doc. and she recommended tylenol which I've avoided so far. I just used a neti pot for the first time and it seems to have helped.
    Among all this, I can't feel any pregnancy symptoms at all--no nausea, no metallic taste in back of mouth, no sore breasts, nothing. I had all these symptoms last week. Now I am worried that my sickness compounded all this and I may have miscarried. My OB will most likely not schedule an earlier prenatal based on these fears.
    What can I do?
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

I would call your OB. You have nothing to lose and they are the only one that can make you feel better.
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

JanBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Has anyone else been really sick in the first trimester? I have a terrible cold and nonstop cough like OP and am going to my primary care doc tomorrow. I wonder if this type of cold can affect the baby - I'm about 8 weeks.

ETA- just Googled this and it sounds like unless you have a high fever a common cold won't harm the baby. There are actually some safe antibiotics too
    Last edited by JanBaby; 02-03-2011 at 08:54 PM.
    DD 1/2009
    DS 12/2011

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JanBaby View Post
    Has anyone else been really sick in the first trimester? I have a terrible cold and nonstop cough like OP and am going to my primary care doc tomorrow. I wonder if this type of cold can affect the baby - I'm about 8 weeks.

ETA- just Googled this and it sounds like unless you have a high fever a common cold won't harm the baby. There are actually some safe antibiotics too
    I was really sick in my first trimester, I had a fever of over 103 and had to take Tylenol to keep it down. I ended up on a z-pack and that worked. The baby is 4 mos old now and she's fine.

To the OP symptoms can disappear and come back again so I wouldn't be stressing over a miscarriage. Maybe your OB could get you in early to set your mind at ease.

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, my appt. is on Tue. so they won't let me in earlier but I will call and ask.
    Thanks for the reassurance of your experiences.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was pretty sick at 10 weeks in my first pregnancy, and 4-6 weeks in my second. The first was sinus and sore throat, aches = miserable, but came back negative for strep. I did end up taking some antibiotics b/c some quack weekend clinic told me I had "strep C" - my family dr later told me EVERYONE has strep C in their throats, totally normal mouth bacteria. UGH. But, I avoided meds and took a children's tylenol once or twice.

The second was just a very nasty cold w/ lots of coughing and fatigue. So, I just rested a lot and used a humidifier, which helped a lot. All in all, I was sick for about a month, but hopefully the baby is fine. We saw the heartbeat at 7w4d (after I was better).

Oh, first time around, I also had a mild stomach bug before I knew I was pregnant. I took all kinds of meds b/c I cannot STAND that misery, and DS is just fine.

A humidifier has helped me a lot with sinus congestion. My pregnancy symptoms came and went during the first trimester, I know it's so hard but try not to worry too much! I hope you start feeling better ASAP!

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

OP, I am just 2 weeks ahead of you and can sympathize since last week I was miserable from sinus congestion and headache on top of all day long nausea. I did take Tylenol on occasion and humidifier, warm steam as well as used neti pot. Finally this week my sinus is gone.

Do call your OB to put your mind at rest. This is my second and all my pregnancy symptoms other than nausea have faded away. I'm a worrier too, but try not to stress, baby should be fine.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had a UTI that developed pretty quickly after I became PG (around 7 or 8 weeks) and was on Penicillin for the entire PG. I also got the full blown flu in the 1st trimester. I was in bed for about 5 days and sick as a dog. I remember worrying about the baby. DS is 6 and fine.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007