Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    You said he wasn't comfortable in the Graco.

The Clek LATCHs, which IMO, makes it easier to use safely. If you have a booster that doesn't LATCH (like the Gracos and most other boosters), you need to belt it in even when unoccupied so that its not a projectile in a crash.
    Ah so it's not a safety thing (other than the unoccupied projectile thing)

I thought you meant it was safer. Jools said it is the worst for big kids but worst how? Comfort? Safety? I really don't know if he'd be any more comfortable in the klek. I have never seen one for sale and I'd have to try before buying on line.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
    Ah so it's not a safety thing (other than the unoccupied projectile thing)

In general terms, all child restraints are safe if they pass crash tests and are certified for your country of residence and are used according to the manual.

However, boosters are slightly more difficult to compare. Every booster fits individual children differently. The safEST booster is one that fits your child and is used every.single.time.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Clek has foam so it's supposed to be more comfy, but my kids find it very uncomfortable, as it's so shallow in the seat depth, and then since it was LATCHed, it couldn't scoot over to fit the shoulderbelt on their shoulder better.
    The Harmony boosters are better for big kids than the Turbo, or the Cosco High Rise (Auto Booster/Ambassador, it's all the same, different names at different stores), or maybe even the Evenflo Amp.
    Here was my DD in the Dakota http://carseatblog.com/2171/combi-dakota-review/ (though, yeah, it's a bit tall, in our Escape, it pushed her so high the belt was off the side of her shoulder...that does kind of sound like the problem you have, yeah?)

Since I'm on a booster roll, here's another one questioning the age 8 thing... http://carseatblog.com/6773/4%E2%80%...eed-a-booster/

And here's another one showing my dd leaning over to even get the belt on her shoulder in the clek... http://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

My son's graco has the luxury foam so I don't know that more padding will help.

Why no frontier for an 8 yo? I was expecting my girls would stay in theirs until they were done with car seats.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I wouldn't buy a harnessed seat for an 8yo (unless special needs), even if it does convert to a booster. IME, most 8yos don't want to be in a booster period and particularly not a booster that LOOKS like a child seat.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I wouldn't buy a harnessed seat for an 8yo (unless special needs), even if it does convert to a booster. IME, most 8yos don't want to be in a booster period and particularly not a booster that LOOKS like a child seat.
    Ah. I wouldn't be buying it for him, though. I'm buying 2 for my girls, to use the new baby outgrows the bucket. They won't be using them until that time - late summer, fall. So if we have it and he tries it and it's more comfortable and he's willing, we may as well use it. I don't know if it will be, though, or he will be. The baby thing is a big factor.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
    My son's graco has the luxury foam so I don't know that more padding will help.

Why no frontier for an 8 yo? I was expecting my girls would stay in theirs until they were done with car seats.
    I have zero experience with boosters so I can't help there, but I don't think there is any issue with your girls using the Frontier till they are 8 yrs. old at all. We plan to keep DD1 in hers until DD2 outgrows whatever convertible seat we get for her, DD1 will be at the earliest 8, but most likely 9 or 10 by then. I think Jools was just trying to say is that some boosters fit kids differently. I would definitely try your son in the Frontier 85 and see how it fits him.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Well we're gonna have it so I may as well. I just hope it actually ships, I am a little nervous about the britax code stopping and worried this will turn out to be a re-run of the great Target Marathon disaster of '08...

Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Update in original post!

Will be looking forward to hear how it goes after you receive it. We are booster shopping also and Parkway SGL is on our list.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast