Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Booster Choice: Parkway SGL, SK Monterey or Probooster : help me choose for my 8yo

I just realized DS has outgrown his Regent! He's 8yo, over 80 lbs. and about 55". I've narrowed my booster choice down to the Britax Parkway w/Latch, the Sunshine Kids Monterey, and the Recaro Probooster (there's also the Pathway B570, but I think the height limit is only 57"). I have a Mazda5 and don't plan on moving the seat around much. I'm leaning towards the Parkway or Monterey b/c the Probooster doesn't have LATCH and it's limit is 2" less. Oobr is too $$. I don't see how it matters, but i also have a 5yo in a Marathon who will probably move to the Regent soon and maybe this purchase eventually. I think both are 6 years before expiration.

Can these LATCH seats all be used w/ or w/out LATCH?

I read the Parkway is narrow-does that mean it's not roomy, or just the footprint is narrow? The Monterey was not on the IIHS Good or Best Bets lists, while the non-latch
    Parkway was on the Good Bets list.

Anything more or less complicated about using one or the other? DS likes to be able to do it himself quickly (getting spoiled from the spare in DHs car).

The Monterey and Parkway seem to be within $5 of each other, unless there are any great deals someone knows of, so that's not a dealbreaker either.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

eta: just read a review from a mama whose child is frustrated at having to rethread the shoulder belt w/each use-is the Britax the same? Also read conflicting info about whether or not the SlideGuard on the Britax is mandatory...
    Last edited by xmasbabycomin; 12-20-2010 at 07:13 AM.
    Lisa
    DS-9/13/02
    DD-12/16/05

I've read some complaints about the Probooster being a little tippy, and it doesn't latch...still safe, but it might push it lower on my prospective list.
    Having to rethread the PW...I think that's a case of unfortunate user error, most kids don't lock the belts when they unbuckle themselves. The secure guard clip is NOT mandatory . The SGL is the one that LATCHes, the SG does not have LATCH. Narrow footprint, not necessarily narrow for the kid, yup, though if he's fairly stocky, that might be a reason to consider the Monterey.
    Monterey's fine, lots of people love it
    Compass Pathway B570 (MUST be the B570, there are lots of numbers) is also a nice choice, flip up armrests, LATCH, wide comfy seat, adjustable shoulderbelt guides, nice low price...but not as super tall as the other seats, the shoulderbelt guide is an inch or two shorter, which is a problem for a very tall kid or if you want to keep him in the highback till 10 or older (yeah, sounds crazy, I know, but I keep my kids in highbacks till they are 11 and more, because they like the head support to rest on, lol).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Yep, I can easily see having DS in a HBB until he's 10, especially as an option for longer trips. We take a 3-hour drive at least once/month. I think the Pathway B570 is out-I just crudely measured DS and he's 55.5" w/o shoes.

Hmmm...still can't make up my mind between Parkway SGL & Monterey.
    DS has a big head (wears adult hats), and I've read Parkway has more room there.
    I also like the Secure/Slide Guard idea since this will be the first time he's w/o a harness full time, and he does have a sister back there to distract him. But if the Monterey has more room, that may not be trivial w/a big boy, and I figured out I'd get $20 Kohls Cash back if I went for that one. I've read that it reclines-is that helpful for long trips when he may want to sleep (or, more accurately, we want him to sleep)? Can you really use that feature? The Parkway seems awfully "upright" in the pics.

So re. the rethreading the buckle on the Monterey, when you say "most kids don't lock the belts when they unbuckle themselves," do you just mean he needs to rebuckle the seat belt when he gets out? Or do you mean pull it tight somehow?

Also, If I can find a Parkway SG to try out IRL, is it the same other than the LATCH? Does BRU or Burlington/BabyDepot carry 'em?

Thanks for listening to all these super-picky questions, Jools, etc. There aren't many places I could post these and not feel like a nutjob.
    Lisa
    DS-9/13/02
    DD-12/16/05

They all recline in some fashion just to fit neatly against the seatback, but not for reclining/sleeping. The headwings will do the sleep support.
    SGL has better armrests, but yeah, the SG should be good enough for a trial run.
    You'll never have to rethread the seatbelt unless it accidentally gets pulled all the way out and locks, which is rare (unless he does it on purpose for sleep support).

Tough choice, isn't it??? Talk it out, I hope you end up with the one that works best (I wish they'd sell a harness-less Frontier, we couldn't love our FR any more as a booster, it's really so so nice).
    Julie

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    They all recline in some fashion just to fit neatly against the seatback, but not for reclining/sleeping. The headwings will do the sleep support.

My son (age 6.5) sleeps very comfortably in his Monterey. The headwings are great. He also has a big head and wears and adult size hat (but toddler gloves, ). He loves this seat.

I never have to rethread the shoulder belt. I don't see why someone would, unless like Jools said, they lock it each time.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

So I ordered both from places that I can return them (diapers.com & Kohls) for free. My indecisive solution. Don't tell DH-this stuff drives him nuts.

My last question (hopefully): we're making a 7-hr drive the day after Christmas. The Parkway will be here by then(Thursday, actually), but the Monterey won't. I believe DS still fits in the Regent as far as head clearance, weight limit, & slot height but not height limit (I think he's 55.5" w/o shoes and Regent is until 53"). Do I need to go ahead and move him into the Parkway or should I stick w/the Regent for this last trip? Is it horrible to consider returning it after a trip like that if I like the Monterey better. Am I kidding myself that it will even look new still (would be to diapers.com)?
    Lisa
    DS-9/13/02
    DD-12/16/05

As long as his shoulders aren't over the top slots in the Regent, I'd use that. Don't worry about height limits, they are just a 'kids will probably fit this long in this seat' kind of guideline.
    I wouldn't use a seat for a long trip then return it...it's best to try it out quickly, leave any and all paperwork attached, the plastic bag from the box, whatever that makes it stay looking new. If a seat gets returned and looks anything like used, we (a certain purple-signed store where I work ) have to trash it (not knowing if it's been crashed or whatever, kwim?).
    Julie

Thanks a bunch! Turns out through some miracle the Monterey from Kohl's has already shipped via UPS 2-day and is scheduled to arrive on 12/24, so I should be able to test both seats out before we leave, provided I get around to it. Otherwise, we'll take the Regent. You rule!
    Lisa
    DS-9/13/02
    DD-12/16/05

Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What did you decide???

Xmasbaby....
    Just wondering how it turned out for you? We are in the same boat and I would love to hear your comparison of the 2 seats and what you decided. I had to laugh about your comment about order both and being indecisive, sounds just like me !

I am also curious about the verdict. I ordered the parkway, but am wondering if I should have got the Monterey. I have one very chunky and very tall almost 4 yr old who has outgrown his regent...crazy I know.

Please let us know which you went with and why.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast