Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The thought about a relationship to food has crossed my mind, but he hasn't had any new foods recently and it's slowly progressed from a small area of bumps that you could feel (and not see), to bumps all over his back that you could feel (and not see), and then they started transitioning into the pink color that they are now.

The weather is changing here, so I think it's more of an environmental thing that's triggering it.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That almost looks like a heat rash to me...has it been hot enough for him to be sweaty?

That doesnt look like eczema to me, maybe viral or an allergy? Have you tried a hydrocortisone cream on it?
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

More bathing is more drying. A red snad paper rash could be strep. Aquaphor and vasaline are petroleum based and really not good for you. Coconut or olive oil or Badger are a lot less harsh. J&J is also drying and chemical based. They really don't need all those soaps and chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    That almost looks like a heat rash to me...has it been hot enough for him to be sweaty?
    It's been highs of 60 around here lately.

I think I'm going to give it a few days and see what happens with it and call the pedi if it's still looking like this at the end of the week. It doesn't seem to really bother him, which is good.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

KHF is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DC both have eczema and extremely sensitive skin. The only time either one of them had a rash that looked like that, it was an allergic reaction to an antibiotic (Omnicef). Not sure if your DC has been on antibiotics lately, but just wanted to throw that out there.

With my DD, the only cleansers I could use on her were California Baby Super Sensitive, and...believe it or not...Johnson & Johnson's Head to Toe! They were the only two that she didn't break out from...and we tried them all. Thankfully, she's outgrown most of her skin sensitivities now. With DS, we use CA Baby and vaseline/aquaphor and Vanicream.
    DD - 2005
    DS - 2008

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    That doesnt look like eczema to me, maybe viral or an allergy? Have you tried a hydrocortisone cream on it?
    I put some Cortaid (hydrocortisone) on it this morning to see if that will help tame it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Edensmum View Post
    More bathing is more drying. A red snad paper rash could be strep. Aquaphor and vasaline are petroleum based and really not good for you. Coconut or olive oil or Badger are a lot less harsh. J&J is also drying and chemical based. They really don't need all those soaps and chemicals.
    Yup, that's why I quit using it.

I wonder if it's Fifth's Disease? I can't honestly remember if he had the cheek thing at all last week, but I think I did comment on it to DH one night (he also gets that when teething, which definitely has been happening. He had a huge runny nose on Friday/Saturday and a fever on Saturday. Hmm ...

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/fifth.html
    DS1 - Oct. '09

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just took DS1 to the dermatologist finally after years of battling his eczema. They told us to use Cetaphil (bar soap or the liquid in a pump) and reccomended Cerave cream and/or Aquaphor. They also prescribed him like 3 different skin creams and I swear the difference in crazy in just 2 weeks....he went from dry flaky sandpaper skin to soft and almost normal.

As for your son, I think it could be something viral...since you mentioned he was sick. You could ask your pediatrician and see what she thinks. Is he scratching it? It sorta of reminds me of the time DS2 got rosela and it also looks like a heat rash.

I'm no expert at all, but that doesn't look like any pictures of eczema that I've ever seen.

My best guess would be a rash from a virus. I was thinking maybe Fifth's disease? I would probably call your pedi and see what he/she wants you to do, rather than continue to try a bunch of creams/lotions, so that you don't further aggravate the condition.

Good luck!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Yeah, I'm betting money that's not eczema. That's an allergic reaction or a viral rash. Is it anywhere else on his body? Fifth's looks like someone slapped your face on the cheeks and left a red mark.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast