gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Experience with asthma?

I got the shock of my life yesterday. My allergist, who I saw because of questions about increasingly bad seasonal allergies and other things, told me that (after some breathing tests) I have ASTHMA! And, he wants to put me on daily medications to improve my breathing.

The reason this shocks me is because I dont' have any trouble breathing, dont' have any pain in my chest, and have never had any problems EXCEPT when I'm around cats and horses. But honestly, since those 2 things are pretty easy to avoid, I haven't even needed an inhaler for the past 15 years. and i was only prescribed one before for my asthmatic reaction to cats.

But the allergist I saw yesterday is a very good one. I took test that measured forced expired volume (FEV) . My forced vital capacity is excellent (100%). But my FEV is only 71%. They gave me a bronchodilator and after awhile I took the test again. My FEV this time was 82% with a disproportionately low forced expiratory flow during the middle half of my exhalation. Apparently the results of the tests showed that I would benefit from continued bronchodilator therapy. Which means I should start using an inhaler daily.

Honestly, I hated using an inhaler and avoid cats and horses like the plague so that I didn't need to use one. The shakiness, the lightheadedness, the feeling like i needed to munch were all annoying. I'm tempted not to do this. But the allergist has warned me that if I don't my condition could grow worse so that I'll need serious steroids later on to only slightly improve my condition. He explained that if I start now on mild steroids I might be able to avoid serious breathing problems and strong steroids later on.

Oh, and while I was at his office, my skin tests showed I was allergic to every pollen type Minnesota has to offer and I also am allergic to 3 foods. Oh, and I have Oral Allergy Syndrome to boot.

He asked me to try taking Advair and Nasonex 2xdaily for a week and to come in to repeat the breathing tests to see if I've shown any improvement. He asked me to just trying taking the inhaler for a week and promised that the annoying side effects would probably go away. I'm not looking forward to this at all and just feel COMPLETELY FREAKIN BLINDSIDED! Oh, and I want to go find all my gradeschool teachers and yell at them that IT WASN'T MY FAULT I COULDN'T RUN VERY FAST!!!!

Anyone have any experience with mild asthma? Are you on daily treatments?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are they going to try and treat your seasonal allergies? My sister had mild to moderate asthma and was also allergic to every pollen in our area plus a few foods. She used to need an inhaler fairly often and was taking Singular for her asthma. She's been on shots now for about 2 years and takes an antihistamine daily and her asthma is so much better. She hardly ever has to use her rescue inhaler and doesn't need any meds for her asthma anymore. Did you doctor mention if he thought the asthma was caused by your allergies? That's really all I know, but thought I would pass it on. The ragweed around here is in full force and if there's something really high there right now, that could be why your tests came back bad.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Are they going to try and treat your seasonal allergies? My sister had mild to moderate asthma and was also allergic to every pollen in our area plus a few foods. She used to need an inhaler fairly often and was taking Singular for her asthma. She's been on shots now for about 2 years and takes an antihistamine daily and her asthma is so much better. She hardly ever has to use her rescue inhaler and doesn't need any meds for her asthma anymore. Did you doctor mention if he thought the asthma was caused by your allergies? That's really all I know, but thought I would pass it on. The ragweed around here is in full force and if there's something really high there right now, that could be why your tests came back bad.
    You know, he gave me Nasonex and Advair for daily use and a rescue inhaler which i doubt I'll ever use because I don't have trouble breathing. I am taking Zyrtec as needed but the allergist said that this really only helps with symptoms. The Advair and Nasonex will help reduce my lung airway inflammation. He wants me to take it for a week and retake the tests to see if there are any significant changes. The seasonal allergies only affect my nose and eyes. But, yeah, he thinks the seasonal allergies, my asthma, even my constipation and migraines could all be tied to my allergies. I dont' think we are treating the seasonal allergies right now.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Look into a supplement like quercetin. I have cat allergies but the last two pregnancies brought on my childhood asthma again and the quercetin has been amazing. I didn't want to go the route of meds since one of the side effects is actually asthma attacks themselves. Quercetin is a bioflavinoid that's also a powerful antiinflammatory that is great for asthma/allergies, cholesterol issues, diabetic/insulij issues, arthritis, etc.
    Last edited by m448; 08-24-2010 at 10:46 PM.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Preface: the only experience I have with asthma is with regard to DD1.

DD1's asthma was pretty much under control but the day I brought her to the allergist for food allergy testing, she happened to be in the throes of an asthma attack (due to an upper respiratory infection) and the allergist went a little ballistic - changed DD1's meds to Advair and a nasal spray (Nasonex maybe?). When I got home, I called her ped and told him what was going on. He disagreed with the allergist and since DD1 was on the lowest dosage of Flovent (her maintenance steroid inhaler), we would just bump that up. He even said something to the effect "i would never prescribe a child this young Advair." (He even grumbled something about allergists, latest/greatest drugs, and drug reps.)

Anyway, Advair has a black box warning from the FDA. Here is the info from WebMD from 2005:
    http://www.webmd.com/asthma/news/200...3-asthma-drugs

Article from Johns Hopkins from 2008:
    http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts....rs/1833-1.html

What sticks out the most to me is this sentence: "LABAs shouldn't be the first medicine used to treat asthma."

So, a question I would have if an allergist made that recommendation to me would be: Why not a low-dose steroid inhaler first? Is Advair really a "mild steroid"?

just my .02
    marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Why not a low-dose steroid inhaler first? Is Advair really a "mild steroid"?
    FWIW, Advair has the same steroid as Flovent. Advair also contains a LABA in addition to the steroid. The warning comes from using a LABA alone. My older DD's allergist says that the warning on Advair really makes no sense based on the FDA's own guidance.

If you are uncomfortable with the idea of Advair, you can call the allergist back and ask about another steroid. But none of them are particularly cheap. All are name brand with no generics that I know of.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I had almost the same experience last year, prefaced with a severe asthma attack, which was NO fun.

I am on Nasonex 2x/day and Alvesco for a preventative. IME, Advair has the same effect on me as Ventolin (shakiness, racing heart). My respirologist (pulminologist) says it takes 3 days of use before your body adjusts.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Advair. I would ask for a preventative only, particularly as you are not having symptoms requiring a rescue inhaler.

My respirologist recently gave me Symbicort, but I haven't tried it.

FWIW, I don't wheeze. My main symptom is incessant coughing and inability to "catch my breath" when things are really bad. The main thing is the coughing. Interestingly, this is how DD#1 presents with her asthma too.

If you have any questions, just ask or PM me. With my own experience and my experience with DD#1's bad asthma, I unfortunately know a lot!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I was on advair and nasonex then I got pregnant with DD#2 and the advair was changed to pulmicort.

I love Pulmicort. I use 1 puff once a day. twice a day if ragweed is bad or I'm around horses for a significant amount of time.

my rescue inhaler is Xopenex. I can't do albuteral because it causes my heart to race and skip beats.

I would ask about the pulmicort, Advair has been associated with asthma related death if you stop taking it suddenly.

DD#1 is on Advair after she had Whooping Cough and we are trying to transition her back to Pumilcort or flovent (it's been so long I don't remember whic she had in inhaler form). Of course we start just at the height of allergy season for her. So we will be waiting a few months.

Jen
    Last edited by ladysoapmaker; 08-25-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added info
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

tmphilo is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have had asthma since I was 4 (with various medications thru the years) and have always been regulated and never had any asthma attacks. I used to take Advair and liked it. Prior to getting pregnant my allergist switched me to Qvar (inhaler with steriod, been around since the 1970s I believe) which worked well but then they decided the preferred drug during pregnancy was Pulmicort. I've been on Pulmicort now for the last 3 years with no problems. I have to have a medicine with the steriod in it or I have chest pains when I breathe. I also take Singulair but this is more for seasonal allergies rather than the asthma. I wonder if this would be an option for you since it is supposed to help with asthma and allergies.
    ~Tiffany
    Mommy to DD1 and DD2!