Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would just use the selson--rinsing it off should get the rest of the hair clean. I wonder if it would be drying? So, I wouldn't use another shampoo. I think some people are more prone to fungal infections of the scalp?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

conniez is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    I would just use the selson--rinsing it off should get the rest of the hair clean. I wonder if it would be drying? So, I wouldn't use another shampoo. I think some people are more prone to fungal infections of the scalp?
    Thanks for the info! If the scabs for lack of a better word are scaly/crusted over at the time do I just rub over them gently or am I supposed to work them loose? I'm guessing picking at them or disturbing in any way could worsen this infection?

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by conniez View Post
    Thanks for the recs everyone! When you use the Selson do you just massage it into the scalp & use reg. shampoo for the rest of the hair? Or use Selson all over? Also, how does one get these fungal infections on the scalp anyway?
    DS just had a bout of sebborrheic dermatitis recently (though it wasn't infected) which is basically the same as cradle cap, that's just what they call it in older kids/adults. I used T-gel and T-sal, not Selsun blue. I focused mainly on massaging the scalp. I wore disposable gloves - I would definitely recommend that you do so esp. since your daughter has an infection, that way it won't get under your fingernails and possibly spread. I also used baby oil first and tried to comb out a lot of the crusties (that is what the doctor recommended). Not sure if that would be the right advice for your DD because of the infection though. I followed up after the T-gel/T-sal with some regular shampoo and/or conditioner, depending on how his hair felt. If she has long hair I would definitely do the Selsun Blue on the scalp and reg. shampoo on the rest of the hair.

ETA: If the scabs bleed in any way when dealing with this I would probably check with the doctor, DS had yellow/brown crusties, they didn't bleed, I did my best to get it out of his hair.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 08-12-2010 at 09:23 PM.

conniez is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
    DS just had a bout of sebborrheic dermatitis recently (though it wasn't infected) which is basically the same as cradle cap, that's just what they call it in older kids/adults. I used T-gel and T-sal, not Selsun blue. I focused mainly on massaging the scalp. I wore disposable gloves - I would definitely recommend that you do so esp. since your daughter has an infection, that way it won't get under your fingernails and possibly spread. I also used baby oil first and tried to comb out a lot of the crusties (that is what the doctor recommended). Not sure if that would be the right advice for your DD because of the infection though. I followed up with some regular shampoo and/or conditioner, depending on how his hair felt. If she has long hair I would definitely do the Selsun Blue on the scalp and reg. shampoo on the rest of the hair.
    Yes, she has always had a lot of hair so her hair is pretty long right now. I really hope the Selson Blue works...I really don't want to start her on the anti-fungal meds after hearing how harsh they can be on the body. What happens if the SB doesn't work, but I choose not to use the fungal meds...do these things ever resolve themselves?

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by conniez View Post
    Yes, she has always had a lot of hair so her hair is pretty long right now. I really hope the Selson Blue works...I really don't want to start her on the anti-fungal meds after hearing how harsh they can be on the body. What happens if the SB doesn't work, but I choose not to use the fungal meds...do these things ever resolve themselves?
    Hmmm...not sure about that, hopefully someone else knows. When I was researching DS's issue I assumed it was either seborrheic dermatitis (cradle cap) or tinea capitis (ringworm of the scalp), which is a fungal infection. Is that what the doctor said your DD has? Here is one of the articles I found, there are lots more out there:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/ringw...article_em.htm

ETA: IMHO, if the infection doesn't clear up with the Selsun blue I would take her to a dermatologist before trying an antifungal med. They may have some other ideas that the ped wouldn't.

ETA again: One of the medications listed in that link is to use Griseofulvin. That may be the medication they would use for your daughter if needed (it is a liquid taken 2x a day ususally). DS had regular (body) ringworm all over last fall and we had to use that for around 6-8 weeks until it cleared up (started after using topical meds unsuccessfully for over 6 weeks under doctor's supervision). The Griseofulvin cleared it up. Liver monitoring is not needed in otherwise healthy children unless the course of the drug needs to go longer than ~ 8 weeks IIRC.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 08-12-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2