Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Probooster no tether?

I went to look at the probooster, as we are in the market for a new seat for dd and she is going to be 6 in a few weeks. I was told that a bpb is an appropriate choice for her. However, after being so careful all along, I feel tense putting her in something like this, with just the seatbelt. Are you not supposed to tether a BPB? I know I am going back and forth on this, but I want to do what is most safe for her, and I don't want to change to the booster too soon.
    Thanks.

Long story long, no, boosters really don't need to be attached to the car to perform well. Here's a long tedious Transport Canada research study and they conclude with
    " The Type 3 high-back booster seats with the shoulder belt guide located close to the shoulder provided the best protection overall" (These are Proboosters, Turbos, Parkways, Frontier as a booster, the kind I'm always recommending).
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...report-924.htm

What I've concluded for myself, based on watching videos and reading a lot, is that my ideal booster is one that's not attached, or that is fairly loosely attached with straps (like the Pathway B570 or Monterey with untightened straps, or Frontier with untightened straps). I'm not worried enough about it to not recommend the Clek Oobr or Cybex X-Fix (with rigid LATCH), but most people don't want to pay that much, anyway, and I do have some faith that they have undergone enough testing that if they were substantially increasing injury rates, they would not be on the market (sorry for the long drawn out though process, here, I hope it's not adding more confusion to your quest!)
    In short, if the Probooster fits her fine, go for it. The manual does have a blurb about buckling it up when not in use so it doesn't become a projectile, but I tend not to bother unless there's a passenger next to it (If it hits my seatback, I'm not worried about it, even in a severe crash, I know I'm a little cavalier about that, so do what I say, not what I do ).

Kids do have a learning curve to climb to learn to ride in a booster, they seem to flop around scarily every time you brake! But they learn quickly to ride with the seatbelt, lean with the car, things you do without even thinking most of the time to stay upright.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you for explaining. This is just such a big leap for me, she was rear facing until a year ago and now, no straps!? It just seems scary. I could just get another Nautilus if the harness increases safety, but from what I understand that after a certain point, there isn't a great difference.