AddiesMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Dilema-which booster on vacation (high back vs backless question)

OK... I think I know the answer, but I just need something confirmed.

Currently DD rides in a Nautilus in my car, a Turbo Booster in DH's car- which sits at the airport most of the week. She is almost 5, 41-42" and about 47 pounds (she has a very long and broad/thick torso). I have always had a spare seat for travel and for when we are cleaning the Nautilus.

The spare seat is Cosco Highback booster b/c it had the 5pt harness, but she outgrew the harness and now uses it with the seat belt. The other day she was carsick so I put it where the Nautilus is and noticed her head is starting to get close to the top, so I went to Target and got another Turbo Booster on clearance for travel and as a spare seat.

So here is the dilema, we are going on vacation in Sept. Everyone is telling me to just bring the bottom of the Turbo Booster so I don't have to bring as much. Am I insane to consider putting a 4.75 year old in a backless booster for a week? My neighbor who is a firefighter has his son backless and he is the same age/height as my DD. I actually just saw something while searching on-line that a backless is just as safe as a high back!?! What?!? WWYD- the entire turbo booster, bottom of the turbo or bring the Cosco highback. BTW-the Nautilus is out of the quesiton, I am flying alone and had back surgery earlier this year- it is way too heavy for me to manage!
    Last edited by AddiesMom; 08-02-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    - Michelle

Addison 11/9/05

Go Red Sox!

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Too funny, I was just having this which-carseat-while-travelling dilemma!

We finally settled on TurboBoosters with backs for both girls. We managed to dig up a duffle bag that will actually fit both for gate checking (need to call and confirm they will let us gate check this monster thing).

I just felt safer with them both in HBB, especially being in different location/new cars/driving different areas, etc. Sure it would be easier to use the bottom, but when people question me (MIL, I mean you) I just smile, shrug and say "I guess I'm weird about it!"

I would say either whole TB or Cosco HBB, whichever is lighter/easier for you to carry.

GL in your decision! and have a great vaca.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

How much driving? If you're doing just a short trip to a hotel and then will be at a hotel, I'd consider the backless. But, if you're driving to sights, etc, I'd bring the whole thing.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    How much driving? If you're doing just a short trip to a hotel and then will be at a hotel, I'd consider the backless. But, if you're driving to sights, etc, I'd bring the whole thing.
    Orlando, staying off site near Sea World, so about 5 miles to WDW property. Only highway will be to/from airport. We vacation there a lot so I am very familiar with the roads. I have a full-size rental with Hertz (lists Impala or similar- I heard sometimes Camry's and Sonata's)
    - Michelle

Addison 11/9/05

Go Red Sox!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree - if it's a short hotel and back trip, the backless would get you through. More than that I would want the back. You can pack the back in checked luggage and carry on the base. That way you are sure to have a seat at your destination in case the baggage is lost, but don't have to carry the whole thing through the airport.

There is confliciting info on backless vs. highback. At least one study showed a 70% reduction in head injuries with a highback compared to backless. They mainly felt it was from poor shoulderbelt fit on a backless, so if you do use it backless, dig out the shoulderbelt positioner that came with the seat and use it (it's a plastic loop on the end of a length of strap).
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

I agree with o_mom, and I'm really glad you aren't using that Cosco as a booster anymore, it typically fits kids very poorly, allowing the lapbelt to ride way too high, like this blog shows... http://carseatblog.com/?p=1331 (and I know it was terrible fit on my own kids when I had that seat at grandma's house).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thanks for all the quick replies!

If I did the backless on vacation, do you all like the Graco or the Harmony better? DD just loves the pink animal print one at Walmart-lol. Thanks!
    - Michelle

Addison 11/9/05

Go Red Sox!

Harmony's a lot lighter to haul around, that's for sure! But The Turbo's not terrible
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

I bought the Harmony Lite Rider in pink animal print for DD and we are going to try it today and make sure the belt is in a good position and she understands how she needs to sit. I have a clear zippered bag with little rope handles that a new blanket came in that fits it perfectly as a travel bag.

I kind of have that pit in my stomach like the first time I had her FF and the first time I had her in the turbo booster w/o a 5-point! LOL! But Mommy will survive...
    - Michelle

Addison 11/9/05

Go Red Sox!