09Mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Sinus/Upper respitory infection and nursing

DD is 18 months old and nurses pretty much only in the morning and bedtime. I know she is getting some milk because I had to pump while on vacation, but the doctor does not think she is getting that much. I'm actually ready for her to ween, but she is definitely not. She gets upset if I try and stop her.

I have had a sinus/UR infection for a month now. It was mostly gone for about a week with only occassional congested coughing but over the week end came back. I am sick of being sick! Is an antibiotic the only thing that will get rid of this? What if DD "insists" on continuing to nurse?

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My response to sinus/cold/allergy issues is to use a neti pot & take mucinex & drink LOTS of water. I am nursing my 16 month old & have had 3 colds since Memorial day!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You should be able to take antibiotics even if she is still nursing. See here for a list of antibiotics that are compatible with BF: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...ml#Antibiotics
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

09Mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thank you o_mom. That list is great!

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    You should be able to take antibiotics even if she is still nursing. See here for a list of antibiotics that are compatible with BF: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...ml#Antibiotics
    Yup, Ive been dealing with the same thing for 2 weeks and antibiotics seem to have been the only solution to work, the home remedies did not at all and my head was ready to explode from the pressure! Hope you feel better!
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You should ask to have a culture done (FWIW, not fun AT ALL when you have a SI). I am resistant to all the antibiotics that are safe for BFg. The only one that works for me is Avelox and it is contraindicated for BFg.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by 09Mom View Post
    Is an antibiotic the only thing that will get rid of this?
    That depends on what is causing your infection. If you've got a viral infection, an antibiotic won't help you. In fact, it could do more harm than good.

Sounds like you should see your doctor.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had a sinus infection this fall and a couple upper respitory things while breast feeding. I was giving zithromax for antibiotic and inhalers, those are usually safe.