Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Discard after 1 month - do we HAVE to?

My dd gets formula mixed into her solids and sometimes we add an ounce or two to a breastmilk bottle out of necessity.

The powdered formula package says to discard one month after opening ... but she doesn't use a whole big container full in a month!

What expires about the formula after it's been open that long? Is it important to observe that to the letter, or can we stretch it to 5 or 6 weeks?

I guess we could buy a small container, but it's so much more expenseive that way!
    Last edited by Uno-Mom; 06-18-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: added in "powdered" to make sense

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I alwyas did, just to be safe. I think bacteria can grow in an open can? I used very little formula, so I requested samples from the ped, and those cans are smaller. Still didn't use the whole can, but Alimentum is expensive.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do if it smells OK and isn't clumpy. My formula gets a little a clumpy as it ages now that its more humid.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

There are alot of things I use after the date but baby formula is NOT one of them. Dump it. Buy a box of the tubes that make a 8oz bottle they are more per oz but you waste less.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

My daughter started fighting her formula (she 1 bottle a day that is half formula and half breast milk) and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that I had opened the canister of formula about 40 days ago. I opened a new can, and she started eating it with much less of a fight. So, I think it starts to taste bad once it is old. I just started buying the smaller cans for her so I'm not wasting.