WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Sharpie on clothing?

I know it'll wash off the DC, eventually, but there isn't any way to get it out of the cute turquoise/lime playdress is there?

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD once wrote on a sheet and the inside of her backpack with a green sharpie. I have yet to find something to take it out.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

I found this on the internet...your post made me think about the fact that I have a sharpie stain I need to get out myself...

Permanent marker works by leaving behind pigment after the carrier solvent has evaporated. The best way to reverse the process is to replace the carrier solvent, and then wick the re suspended pigments away. Sharpie brand marker relies on a form of alcohol as the carrier. Use common isopropanol ("Rubbing Alcohol") to restore the liquidity of the pigment (first, place an absorbent material between the fabric and the workspace or the stained fabric and the unstained back (as in a shirt, or pair of pants). Dribble the alcohol on, and immediately begin blotting in a quick motion with a cotton fabric you don't care about. Don't let the alcohol sit, or you'll perform chromatography as the different constituents of the pigment are carried away from the original stain based on their densities (the lighter ones move farther). Also, use something highly absorbent as both the backer and the blotter- the goal is to "entice" the stain to leave the garment; for this to happen, it has to have somewhere "better" to go. For heavily saturated areas, a lot of patience (and alcohol and absorptive material) is required.
    If your KID is stained with Sharpie (as mine was), use denatured isopropyl alcohol (again, "rubbing alcohol") and several clean cotton balls. Avoid the eyes, nose and mouth, and use a fresh ball for each swabbing. Works like a charm.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow! Great advice!

I wonder if there is something similar for dry erase, which seems to have a powder as its "carrier agent."
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

At the Lab I worked at we always used rubing alcohol. We always used Sharpies at work so the company had tons of rubbing alcohol on hand.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by teedeedee View Post
    I found this on the internet...your post made me think about the fact that I have a sharpie stain I need to get out myself...

Permanent marker works by leaving behind pigment after the carrier solvent has evaporated. The best way to reverse the process is to replace the carrier solvent, and then wick the re suspended pigments away. Sharpie brand marker relies on a form of alcohol as the carrier. Use common isopropanol ("Rubbing Alcohol") to restore the liquidity of the pigment (first, place an absorbent material between the fabric and the workspace or the stained fabric and the unstained back (as in a shirt, or pair of pants). Dribble the alcohol on, and immediately begin blotting in a quick motion with a cotton fabric you don't care about. Don't let the alcohol sit, or you'll perform chromatography as the different constituents of the pigment are carried away from the original stain based on their densities (the lighter ones move farther). Also, use something highly absorbent as both the backer and the blotter- the goal is to "entice" the stain to leave the garment; for this to happen, it has to have somewhere "better" to go. For heavily saturated areas, a lot of patience (and alcohol and absorptive material) is required.
    If your KID is stained with Sharpie (as mine was), use denatured isopropyl alcohol (again, "rubbing alcohol") and several clean cotton balls. Avoid the eyes, nose and mouth, and use a fresh ball for each swabbing. Works like a charm.
    Worked well! Took a good bit of dabbing, but the big"ish" stripe is a teensy tiny faded dot now! THANK YOU!!!

that was brilliant advice.

i still wonder about the dry erase though. i get swiped with these daily by my first grade students. yet another reason i shop mostly at old navy (cheap).
    neeley

SO glad it worked!!! I'll be trying it myself later! =)