DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Which cold medicine for ME?

The kids have had a runny nose, slight cough for quite awhile. This Sat I got some postnasal drip, which is giving me a ticklish cough and sore throat. In addition, I feel like I'm trying to cough up something, little gobs of mucous (TMI) come up when I cough. That's the main part that's bothering me b/c my throat is a bit sore and I keep coughing.

Should I get some mucinex? I want to stay away from anything I don't really need b/c I'm nursing. Any suggestions?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What I do is superdose on Vitamin D and Vitamin C. Really makes a difference. For a cough I might do something like Boiron Chestal Honey.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

I don't have any plain vitamin C, I should get some. I just took an Alavert (Claritin). I put DD down for bed and she won't nurse again until the morning. The peak blood concentration for loratadine is 2 hours, and it's approved by the AAP for Bfing. I don't know if it will do any good, I'm starting to get more runny nose now. All my other cold meds were expired 2008, so I threw those out. Still wondering if mucinex will help me.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was going to suggest Claritin. It works best for me when I have a cold. I recently took Mucinex DM not realizing what it did- loosens up all the mucus and makes you even drippier. My dh knew that it did that so I felt like a doof. The Claritin countered it quickly though, thankfully.

Beth

Oh and forgot to mention that when I superdose on vitamin C I also take zinc (as a separate capsule). Hope you feel better soon and that someone can clarify on the mucinex.

Here's hoping the Alavert works. I just want to sleep tonight. It's strange when you're dripping like a faucet and have mucous congestion at the same time. Although, now that it's turned into more runniness, I don't seem to be coughing up the mucous anymore. Maybe that means the cold is running it's course?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

could be and I'm all for letting a runny nose run during the day and doing comfort measures at night to get some sleep. If you have some thyme around you can make some thyme tea and that will get your nose running a ton (plus it's great from an immunological standpoint).

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Alavert/ Claritin (loratidine) are fine for allergies while pregant or breastfeeding. Mucinex (guifenisine) is fine for BF. I had major bronchitis this month.