jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default SO Thread: Wii Bundles, What to Get?

For those of you who do have a Wii, what components would you get/which controllers and games do you get the most use out of?

We may be doing a big Wii Xmas. My parents normally give us $600 each Christmas and I was thinking about getting the basic bundle package, mario kart, and guitar hero (my 7 year old daughter loves the one her cousin has) and an extra controller or two. Any feedback?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jen
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Here is what I have-

4 controllers
    2 nunchucks
    2 Wii Motion Plus (a must for Resort, but can be left on for the other games)

For games, we play Resort a lot. We also like Guitar Hero, Lego Star Wars, Wii Fit, Wii Music, Wii Play and Wii Sports (which is usually bundled with the console).
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would say to get a wiimote and nunchuck for each member of the family that you expect to play at the same time (max of 4 each, we have 3 each as it is just DH, DS and I). Definitely get Wii Play, it comes with a wiimote and so the game itself is only ~$10 more. There are some fun minigames for kids on there.

After you play a bit you can decide on what else you might need. I just bought Mario Kart Wii (comes with one steering wheel) and Wii Sports Resort (comes with one Wii MotionPlus) for Christmas, and got 2 extra wheels and 2 extra Wii MotionPlus controllers from Amazon at a decent price. That might be overkill as we rarely play 3 players at a time but I am hoping these games will be more fun than the ones we have for 3 players (DH doesn't like to play Wii much). Since you are getting the Mario Kart game you might want to get a second wheel so 2 people can play at the same time. You need a regular wiimote to put in each wheel for them to work.

We also have one Wii classic controller to use for some vitural console games. If you like old style games and plan to hook up your Wii to the internet you might want one, but you can always wait and see if you want to play any game that requires a classic controller.

ETA: For games we like Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones (haven't tried Lego Batman yet) (all 1-2 players), Animal Crossing (1 player at a time, up to 4 total), Wii Play (1-2 players). DS liked Diego when he was younger. We also have Playground and Active Life Outdoor Challenge, they're ok. I got rid of most of the rest of our games in anticipation of getting new ones for Christmas.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 11-15-2009 at 01:42 PM.

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Just wanted to mention that you don't need a wheel to play mario kart. You can play with just the remote. I don't actually like to play with the wheel, but most kids that have played at our house refuse to play it without a wheel.

Our favorite games lately are:
    Wii Sports
    Wii Resort (we got it at costco bundled with two motion pluses)
    Mario Kart Wii
    Guitar Hero