Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Are nosebleeds common with pneumonia?

DS now has a nosebleed. I googled the hell out of it, and while they are listed as a symptom on some of the sites, others it's not. Wondering if maybe it's a side effect of the zithrimax?
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You don't want to fool around with pneumonia, so I think you should check with the doctor on call. I'm sure it's nothing, but at least you won't be worrying for the entire night.

ETA: I hope he's feeling better soon!

Hil, is he blowing his nose a lot, or scratching inside his nostrils from the nasty irritation you can get with pneumonia?

If not, and he has a bunch of real nose bleeds, I'd call your doc.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Well, generally, he is a picker, but that's ebbed quite a bit lately, and I don't think that's the cause this time around. He doesn't have much of a runny nose with this, it's mainly a terrible cough and chest congestion. And fever. He's got diarreah, but that's from the zitrhomax, I'm pretty sure. The nose bleed was just suddenly there. He's not restless right now, watchinhg Sleeping Beauty as I wait for 8pm to come so I can give him his last neb of the night. And suddenly, his nose started bleeding. It's a way out there possible side effect of the Z, so I did call the doctor. WAiting for a call back. Meanwhile, DS is just movin' right along not acting all that sick. At least he's not miserable. I"M miserable, but he's ok. Which, of course, is preferable.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hugs! Probably just a side effect of being sick and possibly not well hydrated. Good thing to call the doc just to be sure, though.

I hope he is better soon! You guys need a break!!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The Bun was diagnosed with strep throat today, last night had a monster nosebleed from nothing more than turning over in bed.

Maybe I'm making too light of it all, but IME, any time the Bun has an illness that will dehydrate her and have upper respiratory effects, I *expect* nosebleeds. The membranes in their nose get thinner as they get more dehydrated (whether b/c of the illness, the treatment, or something else) and poof, there's an excuse for a nosebleed.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Glad to hear you called the doc. Didn't know you were nebulizing; that's a recipe for nose bleeds, right there, for some kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    I"M miserable, but he's ok. Which, of course, is preferable.
    Funny - true, I'm very sure, but funny nonetheless. Glad you've still got your sense of humor about this!

Quote Originally Posted by dcmom2b3 View Post
    The Bun
    Mary-Helen, I just had to say I love this nickname - and your avatar is so sweet!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeofUs View Post
    Glad to hear you called the doc. Didn't know you were nebulizing; that's a recipe for nose bleeds, right there, for some kids.

Funny - true, I'm very sure, but funny nonetheless. Glad you've still got your sense of humor about this!

Mary-Helen, I just had to say I love this nickname - and your avatar is so sweet!

Squeak, sniff. Thank you, Ivy.

IMO The Bun is the bestest thing since sliced no-HFCS-flax-seed added bread. And gets my vote for cutest quarterback in a dress . . . not sure where that leads but whatever. I'm beyond proud!
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Ack, Mary-Helen, I'm sorry about the strep! Eesh. That is truly miserable stuff. Good vibes for quick recovery for the bun. Love that nickname, too, BTW!