Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: spider bite?

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default spider bite?

So, we were up at the cabin this weekend and in addition to the usual multitude of mosquito bites, DS got what I think is a spider bite on his thigh. It's red, the size of a silver dollar, swollen, and somewhat tender. There's some scabing in the center, little lines, not just one dot like a mosquito bite. I called the peds office b/c it didn't look like a mosquito bite and she said it was prob a spider bite. He slept on a mattress on the floor in the bunkhouse (garage with carpet) and I've seen spiders in there before.

I washed it and put some neosporin on it. The nurse said to put benadryl cream on it, so we went out and got some. She said to wait and see if the swelling goes down with the benadryl. If it gets larger or more tender, she said to come in b/c it could be cellulitis!

I read on the Dr. SEars website to wash with soap and water, put diluted hydrogen peroxide on it for 2 min, then wash off, then put neosporin on it--3x a day to prevent infection. Does this sound like a good plan? Anything else I should watch for?

Oh, and we live in the upper midwest, so she said there are no poisonous spiders here.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

You'd know if it were a dangerous (highly venomous) spider bite - they turn blue and do other absurdly horrible things.

Sounds like a spider bite to me, too, and like he's having a bit of a reaction to it. While the Sears plan will work to prevent infections, how is the benadryl working? Is the swelling going down at all? That's what I would watch for, over the course of a couple/few days.

Here's hoping it doesn't get any larger. GL!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

YEah, my first thought was worry that it would cause some harm, but the nurse said there are no highly venomous spiders here (yeah for cold weather!). So, now I'm just worried about infection. It didn't look right to me, like a regular mosquito bite. The redness and swelling worried me. I'm glad I called and I'm glad they were actually helpful. I just put the benadryl on tonight, so I'll be watching first thing in the morning. I actually don't have any hydrogen peroxide, so off to Target yet again tomorrow. It just skeeves me out more than anything that he got a spider bite on his little thigh.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeofUs View Post
    You'd know if it were a dangerous (highly venomous) spider bite - they turn blue and do other absurdly horrible things.

Sounds like a spider bite to me, too, and like he's having a bit of a reaction to it. While the Sears plan will work to prevent infections, how is the benadryl working? Is the swelling going down at all? That's what I would watch for, over the course of a couple/few days.

Here's hoping it doesn't get any larger. GL!
    Oh, I see what you're saying. It's not necessarily something inherent in the spider venom/bite, but DS's reaction to the bite. He is an allergic guy and I've always wondered how he would react to a bee sting. I hope the swelling goes down with the benadryl cream.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    If it gets larger or more tender, she said to come in b/c it could be cellulitis!
    Interesting that she said "tender". When I had cellulitis, the swollen area was HARD and hot to the touch.

to your DS (and you!) Hope it clears up quickly.

mecawa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD1 has a nasty spider bite right now, right on her cheek. I did the Benadryl cream and it didn't work for us, so I started oral Benadryl (she has had this type of reaction before, very sensitive skin), the oral Benadryl seems to help some. I took her to the ped yesterday morning because I was worried that it was infected, and she looked to see if it was tender, which she said it wasn't(i think it is, but I'm not a doctor). If it gets worse within the next 48 they told me to bring her back in for antibiotics (last time we had to do that). Hopefully for both you and your son's sake it goes down with just the cream.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Interesting that she said "tender". When I had cellulitis, the swollen area was HARD and hot to the touch.

to your DS (and you!) Hope it clears up quickly.
    I know nothing about cellulitis, but it sounds scary. Yesterday it was both firm and tender, if that makes sense. I'm anxious to take a look at it this morning when he wakes up.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Quote Originally Posted by mecawa View Post
    DD1 has a nasty spider bite right now, right on her cheek. I did the Benadryl cream and it didn't work for us, so I started oral Benadryl (she has had this type of reaction before, very sensitive skin), the oral Benadryl seems to help some. I took her to the ped yesterday morning because I was worried that it was infected, and she looked to see if it was tender, which she said it wasn't(i think it is, but I'm not a doctor). If it gets worse within the next 48 they told me to bring her back in for antibiotics (last time we had to do that). Hopefully for both you and your son's sake it goes down with just the cream.
    Thanks for the BTDT report. I'm sorry it's on her face! Did she get bitten in her sleep? That's the only thing I can think of for DS, although it would've had to have crawled up his pj leg. I really hope we don't have to do oral antibiotics b/c DS does not do well on them.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

This morning it looks less "swollen" and red. It's still there, red and a bit hard, but noticibly less so. Here's hoping the benadryl cream continues to work.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

How's DS doing? I was away yesterday and didnt have a chance to post. Hope he's feeling better!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast