Default Getting a Wii: What Else Do I Need?

We are getting a Wii for our family. I am sure that DS1 will play it as all his friends seem to be playing these days. And DH and I will likely play occasionally too. What else do we need to get? Games? I don't know a ton about it so tell me everything you enjoy and/or would recommend.

Thanks!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Other than extra remotes/nunchucks, I wouldn't buy anything until you have played it for awhile. You can get Wii Play with an extra remote (it is packaged with the game and a remote). Between that and the Wii Sports that comes with it will keep you busy for some time. Then I would rent games before buying and wait to buy things like the Wii Fit until holidays or birthdays to keep it interesting.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Get the Wii Fit, we played it at a friends house the other night, it was so fun for the kids....it's the one with the balance board, there were tons of fun games on it!

I would get the charging stand for the remotes. I keep meaning to buy one but something else always comes up. Luckily we have plenty of rechargeable batteries.

We also have the WiiFit. I love it!!! Of course I'm not using as often as I did when we first got it. (having pneumonia really screwed up schedule and I haven't gotten back on it yet).

I got the Looney Tumes Acme game (don't remember the actual title). It's fun. THe kids won't play it as it's Mom's game. The kids though love the Lego games.

Have fun,
    Jen
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We love our Wii...the whole family plays it. You definitely need 2 remotes and 2 nunchucks. We got our second remote as part of Wii Play, which I think was a great purchase. DD is 4 and DS is 3 and they can play the majority of the games on it (there's cow racing, fishing, target shooting, a matching game and some crazy tank game that DS loves on it). I would also recommend Mario Kart-lots of fun. It comes with one wheel that you put your remote in and we bought a second one for $10 at Target. The new Wii Sports games are pretty fun too. We bought rechargable batteries for the remotes. Have fun with it!!!

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I definitely recommend getting the extra Wiimote with Wii Play included as well. DH and DS were just playing it now. Has some fun easy games on there. I also agree with renting/borrowing games if possible before buying. Our library rents them for a week for free which is nice but sometimes it takes a while before a particular game is available. For your DS's age I can recomend the Diego games. We also love the Lego games (Lego Star Wars and Lego Indidana Jones so far) but those are actually rated for age 10 and up as they can be a little intense for younger kids. DS (age 6) loves them though and they do have a great feature where either of the 2 players can drop in or out at anytime and join back in when they want to. DS also LOVES Animal Crossing and it is a completely non-violent game, but it does require a bit of reading, so the parent needs to be there for non-readers a lot of the time. I want to get EA Active soon (for myself) and Wii Sports Resort as well for the family. Have fun!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

For family fun, I think it is best to get extra Wii remotes so you have 4 total. Some games come with one for a bargain price.

The classic controller is fun if you want to download classic games like Super Mario and Zelda. You can play the classic games with the Wii controller but it will be easier and feel more comfortable with the classic controller if you used those games as a child. The classic controller attaches to the Wii controller and costs $10-15 I think.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.