athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Bromine/bromide rash from swimming pool?

My daughter went swimming with another family yesterday at a local pool. When she came home, she was covered in what looked like hives. The rash was almost gone this morning, but I noticed tonight at bath time that there are small discolorations where the rash was and some new bumps. In talking with a friend today, she mentioned bromine/bromide used in swimming pools as a disinfectant. Her daughter has a strong reaction to this chemical. Does anyone have a child that is allergic to bromine/bromide? Any experience with a situation like this?
    We'll go to the ped tomorrow morning, but I'm just wondering if anyone has BTDT?
    Thank you.

DS1 just went through this when he had his swimming lessons a few weeks ago. We took him to the pediatrician, who prescribed triamcinolone acetonide cream for the rash that was already there. To prevent even more rashes from occurring, the pediatrician told us to rinse off DS's body thoroughly with water even before toweling him dry. Both of these seemed to do the trick, as the rash went away within a few days and didn't come back again, even though he continued to take swim lessons.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009