kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Ikea Kura loft bed

Who has this, and how has it held up? I'm considering putting my 6 year old on top, and slipping a twin mattress on the bottom (directly on the floor) for my 2.5 year old. What do you think? I would do the blue canopy on top and wall lamps for both kiddos. I was also considering adding a reading corner, with their bookcase and two bean bags.

I was going to do two twin Hemnes frames in black, but it would take up ALL the floor space in their room.

One last question, how does the Ikea bedding hold up? Specifically the kids lines...
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I didn't realize that the Hemnes set came with a twin bed...isn't the smallest size it comes in Full? I LOVE the Hemnes set...would love it if there was a twin option...

We have had the kura for a year and a half for my DD and love it. We use the space underneath as a play area. She didn't like the tent, so we don't use it.

It has held up well thus far as has some of the bedding we have from Ikea.

I wouldn't do the canopy. It is too hard to get in and out of at night going to the bathroom. We love our wall lamps. I find the IKEA sheets scratchy. We don't have the mattress. The bed on the floor works well. We have a loft bed for dd and did the same thing unitl she was old enough to move to the top.
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ikea kids bedding is not my favorite. We have a duvet and pillow as a back up from there and it looks worn even though it is rarely used. It is a bargain for the price however, considering I am comparing it to LON and PBK quilt sets (his main set is from LON).

I love the configuration of the loft bed (with the bottom bed on the floor but don't like the construction/look of it. I wish I could get the loft bed thing in a Hemmes style (even better in blue finished wood!). I need to get a bunk bed for T's room in the next 6 months to transition it into the boys shared room.

If we go the Ikea route for their bunk bed I am thinking the Hemnes bunks, but it is higher than the Kura loft one you linked.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70045383
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

We put this in our 6 yo DD's room this past fall. So far, it's held up well but we are very cautious to not put our adult weight on the top part. If you even start to, you can hear the boards strain. The canopy was only used for the first couple months, then DD decided she didn't like it. We didn't get the Ikea bedding, just use some old twin sheets we had around and they work fine even on the thinner Ikea mattress.

-Anne

hardysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was looking at the Kura for my twins last weekend. I thought about putting 2 of them in an L formation so they could have play space underneath.

Good to know about the weight limits. DH is in a loft bed and I couldn't imagine not being able to sit in bed with him to read and snuggle... I was being seduced by the Ikea prices.

So far as the bedding. We have some. It doesn't hold up very well, but for the price, I am OK with it.

My son has a Flexa loft. It is a Danish company. Fantastic construction. ... Not super cheap, but less than PBK.

He was 4 and the slanted ladder was great. Not too tall, but room for a loveseat (or twin mattress) underneath. Flexa makes a lot of cool combinations. Princess beds, slides, etc....

As they grow, you can move the lofts up or down or move into different configurations.

Cool princess beds:

http://www.shopFlexa.com/FLEXA-Princess-Beds-s/41.htm

Here is the plain, mid-height one:

http://www.shopFlexa.com/FLEXA-Mid-h...-p/colin81.htm

Stephanie

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have this bed and it's held up well in the 2+ years we've owned it. DS1 sleeps on the top and we've had the canopy on and off over the years. DD used to sleep on the bottom, but now is in her own room (in the HEMNES daybed, which we bought second-hand 2 years ago and has also held up really well), but DS2 will sleep there when he's ready to leave the crib. I can sit in the top bunk with DS1 without us exceeding the weight limit, although DH cannot.

As for bedding, I have found the fitted sheets, pillows and comforters to hold up well. The duvet covers are hit or miss.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have it for 6yo DS and he loves it. He has a very small BR and it has worked out perfectly. I forgot what IKEA mattress we have in the top (possibly Saltana...whatever was on display in our store). We also have a regular twin mattress on the floor as his reading area/guest bed. We did have the canopy and it WAS cool but it was very difficult for DS to make his bed. It was also difficult for me to kiss him goodnight, which bothered both of us. We eventually took it down b/c DS kept removing the clips and placing them back on teh frame at bedtime and just whenever...eventually he'd break it.

As for your 2.5 yo...he would definitely climb into the top bunk. Do you feel okay with that? The top bunk is for ages 6 and up per the safety label. We felt comfortable with DS using it at a new 5 but I was very paranoid about 3yo DD climbing up there.

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck with teh decision. It is a great bed otherwise. It actually disassembled quite easily for our move as well. It is VERY sturdy as a kid bed, although we do not climb up there with him at bedtime...which I miss. If he wants to cuddle or if he feels sick, he sleeps on the bottom bunk to either accomodate DH/I or for easy access to the bathroom. We use regular sheets for the bedding...this IKEA stuff wasn't soft enough for DS's standards. Ohhh...we also had the little moon light for DS's lower bunk reading/guest area, as well, but that came off the wall very quickly...someone ripped it off and it stayed off.
    Last edited by SASM; 06-02-2009 at 11:46 PM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!