elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default treating athlete's foot in 2 yo?

It looks like 2 yo DD has a bit of a foot fungus going on. Her toes are peely and she has a few little shallow blisters that peel off easily.
    I have called my ped about every other day for the last 2 weeks for one thing or another and so I would like to hold off on calling about this if possible.
    Can I just use the powders or sprays that adults use?

She is picking at her bare feet and then touching everything of course so I want to nip this in the bud if possible.
    DD
    DS

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would use the regular athletes foot stuff on her... but here are some more natural remdies

Prepare a solution of water and white vinegar – one part of white vinegar to four part of water; soak your feet for 20 to 30 minutes twice day. Sprinkle some baking soda between your toe fingers and rinse your feet after fifteen minutes. It is as effective as an expensive antifungal powder. Rub tea tree oil between your toe fingers, it has antifungal properties. For immediate relief from itching or burning, soak your feet in an antiseptic mouthwash like Listerine. Corn starch is effective in soaking moisture, so keep your toe fingers dry by sprinkling some corn starch on them

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Ds had it too at around that age. The Dr. gave us some prescription medicine. I'm not sure if little ones can use over the counter stuff - could you ask your pharmacist?

DS2 had this very early. I think he was only a few month old. His ped told us to use the over the counter stuff.
    M

DS1 10/03
    DS2 06/07
    DS3 11/09

My pediatrician has recommended using Lotrimin AF on DD's privates to cure severe diaper rash when she was as young as 2 months old. So I can't see why you can't use that on her feet. But I find the natural remedies described by a prior poster intriguing. However, more than one pediatrician has told us not to use corn starch for fungal or yeast infections because it acts as a food for the fungus.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for all the replies. I actually have all the ingredients for the natural remedy but getting DD to soak for 30 min will be a difficult task. I ended up spraying her toes with some lotrimin AF that I found. The can said that for kids under 2 a dr. Should be consulted but otherwise it should be ok. Thanks!
    DD
    DS