Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default suggestions on how to relieve a plugged duct?

I've tried a few tricks and they aren't working.

massage while nursing
    massage while not nursing
    manual expression
    letting the breast drain while dd nurses on the other side

I'm on my way to trying moist heat-the lll leader said to get a disposable diaper wet and microwave it to warm and put it on the breast. DD is asleep for at least the next couple hours.

Any suggestions? It's not constant pain but it does hurt if the breast is bumped,lifted or otherwise has pressure put on it and she said it definatly sounded like a plugged duct. I don't have time in my schedule right now for mastitis.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Along the lines of putting heat on it- have you tried massaging it while standing under a hot shower?

I had a really stubborn one with DD and tried everything you mentioned. While it hurt like heck, massaging it with the hot water running on it helped relieve it a little.

GL! I hope you get some good suggestions!

Massaging while in a hot shower worked for me - luckily.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Default try the rice sock

Get an old (clean!) sock, fill it half full with rice. Tie a knot at the end, and stick it in the microwave for a minute or two. Place it over the plugged duct, and if you're able to, massage also while nursing or pumping. Good luck. It may take a couple of nursing sessions to get it all out.

jhmom is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Oh, I remember those days.... I feel for you!!

I second the suggestion of massage under a hot shower. It will hurt like heck but it's the only thing that did it for me. I had to massage pretty forcefully and keep at it, but it did work.

The warm disposable diaper did help me too, but not nearly as much as the hot shower.

Good luck!!!

Kerri

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jhmom View Post
    I second the suggestion of massage under a hot shower. It will hurt like heck but it's the only thing that did it for me. I had to massage pretty forcefully and keep at it, but it did work.
    Yep, I third this. Also, while you are in the hot shower massaging, make sure (I'm sure you know this but just in case), you start at the top of your breast near your ribcage and press and massage down to the nipple. Hard. It will hurt like crazy but if it doesn't come out in the shower, try bfing or pumping right after you are out. That has helped me numerous times.

gl.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I used a heating pad, it was the only thing hot enough.
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default this is a new, but good one

i feel your pain! after 2 years of nursing i've just started to experience plugged ducts (7 times in the last 5 weeks) and thrush (insult to injury!).

i finally called a lactation consultant to see if there was anything else i could try and she had a new one for me. i hope you have a sonicare toothbrush - massage your breast with it, bristle side away. i've found this to be much gentler than doing it myself. there is less friction if you do it through the shirt than directly on your skin. i try and do it for 5 minutes before and after nursing. after nursing, i also try and manually express the offending breast... before and after the second round of sonicare. now that i'm using the sonicare i've been able to catch the plugs early, before they are too painful.

i also try and get dd to fall asleep while nursing so that she'll keep sucking and work the plug out. unfortunately for me, this only happens in the middle of the night.

are you taking lecithin?

i had a couple that got pretty bad and i was worried about mastisitis. i took 4 cloves of raw, chopped garlic a day as a preventative.

oh - and don't even try and use the sonicare while you are nursing

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Put a bowl of very warm water on the counterop. Drop the breast into the bowl and let it sit there. Reheating the water as needed... Massage the plug out when you're reheating the water.

Yep--the hot shower + massage thing. Also, taking a hot bath and either a) leaning/turning over to submerge the breast in the hot water and/or b) putting hot washcloths on the breast. You can also pick up some hot/cold breast pads (I know Gerber makes some, probably also Medela and Avent)--should be at your local SuperTarget or drugstore. You may want to change bras or go braless some, in case there is a wire or seam that has been contributing to the problem. I also usually wound up taking an Ibuprofen to help a little with the pain. Oh, and it looks totally ridiculous, but you can try putting baby down on a bed or on the floor and leaning over him/her to nurse (so it's like you're on all fours with boobs hanging straight down). My DS thought this was just hilarious the times I tried it, but it did help at least once to loosen the plug! In general, trying a variety of nursing/pumping positions can help some with this. Hope you feel better soon--I know how miserable that is!
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast