JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Does anyone want to take a stab at calming me down? Dizziness/tingling

So for about a week now, I've had this dizzy/lightheaded/swimmy sensation happening. There is also some pressure and headachiness. I just recently had my Synthroid dosage increased, and I think the doctor overdid it a bit. Now I'm also starting to have this tingling sensation in my right arm. That's been going on for a couple of days.

I saw my new PCP on Wed., and she did bloodwork and sent me for some neck X-rays today. The radiologist said she probably did that so that my insurance will cover an MRI.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Logically I know that it could be a hundred different things, but I've been watching too much Grey's Anatomy these days, and I'm freaking myself out.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I had some tingling in random places, and I finally decided it was from my back being very very out of line. Visits to my chiropractor fixed the problem. Obviously, I guess it could be something else, but it might be worth checking. I think the synthroid uppage (is that a word) could definitely be the reason for the lightheadedness....
    Hope you figure it out soon, I know it is stressful.

I get this way from allergies, but it definitely could be too much synthroid....
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I get that way from allergies, sinus infections AND when I am hypER thyroid. So, if your synthroid dose was recently upped, that could definitely be it.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

tmarie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was experiencing some of those symptoms, as well as feeling fatigued, and found out that I was anemic. At the same time they also put me on a low dose of synthroid. My symptoms cleared up, so I know it was either the anemia or the thyroid, which according to my internist can both cause those symptoms. BTW, I am a total hypochondriac, so I know what you're going through. For years I couldn't even watch ER or any medical shows b/c they would spark my imagination!

HTH!

tmarie

Well, I don't know anything about the thyroid meds causing this, though that sounds like a definite possibility too, however that sounds very, very similar to the panic attacks that I get from time to time.

My head would feel strange, sort of tingly, I would get an achy left arm, sometimes with shooting or tingling pains and when it would get really bad, I would also have some nausea. Oh, and my heart would start racing out of no where and my chest would hurt.

It's just another thing to consider, if nothing ever shows up on any tests. I went through a huge battery of tests that all came back normal, but finally a small dose of Paxil did the trick.

Good luck.

Christina

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks so much guys! Maybe now I can relax a little this weekend. We spent most of the day out today, and I have a pounding headache now. I think it may just be all of the pollen in the air here, although I have to say, every cause you all listed was on my list of possibilities.

I was rear-ended about 6 months back, so something alignment oriented is a definite possibility, and I did have an awful panic attack the other night- although since the lightheadedness has hung around for so long now, I don't think that's it, although it could be making it seem worse than it is.

As long as I'm not the next Izzie Stevens, I should be ok.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Panic attacks, hormones, allergies, out of alignment, thyroid, anemia. It could be any of those things. I'm glad that you are getting all checked out. I take Calcium/Magnesium for my panic, hormones, and dizziness. It really helps with my migraines, as well. I've got Fibro and am just learning to live with not feeling well most of the time. It sucks.

I hope you feel better soon!

My first thought was your neck - either out of alignment or muscle tension. There is some controversy over whether neck problems can cause vertigo/dizziness, but I KNOW it does. My Mom will get severe vertigo when her neck is "out" - she goes to a chiropractor and she is fine after a couple of adjustments. I have had it myself - just feeling kind of lightheaded/dizzy like you just got off an amusement park ride or something, then really swimmy headed and off balance with certain head movements. DH and I are both PTs, so he works on my muscle tension (which is what causes my symptoms)and I get better. That would also explain the tingling in your arm.

It's called cervicogenic dizziness or vertigo. Here is some info:

http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=40024

"Patients experiencing cervicogenic vertigo may report the following clinical symptoms: positional unsteadiness or giddiness; a feeling that the ground is moving; postural instability noted especially on turning; and imbalance that is markedly enhanced by sudden head movements, such as neck extension with upward or downward gaze or rising from the supine position. Neck pain is always present in patients suffering from cervicogenic vertigo with muscle tenderness, stiffness, and guarding of the cervical region commonly noted. Neck pain may precede the sensations of imbalance by a period of days to months and is commonly located in the occipital region with radiations to the temporomandibular region, the temporal region, and into the arms. Headache complaints are common and occipital in origin with retro-orbital or band-like referred pain patterns. Occasionally patients may complain of numbness in the arms which is apparently without anatomical pattern."

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular...-dizziness.php

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Lori, it looks like we might have the same thing. I missed your post, but Random kid answered my recent post with the same info! I hope yours is better. Mine is much better today, but still feel queasy. I can't wait to be back to my normal self, besides, I tend to eat a lot when I feel queasy, so this is not good! When I came back from a trip to India, I was on anti-malaria meds and so nauseous, I gained 20 lbs from eating to quell the nausea!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard