Thread: DIY Vusion

TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default DIY Vusion

After two ear infections in three weeks, and the subsequent rounds of Amoxicillin and, currently, Omnicef, my 12-month-old daughter sprouted a nasty yeast diaper rash. The last time this happened, I tried the usuals - straight purple Desitin, Vaseline, Lotrimin, A&D, Triple Paste - with no success. My ped gave me some (weensy) samples of Vusion and it did the trick almost immediately.

Now, I know that Vusion is little more than a $100 concoction that you can mix at home (Monistat, Desitin, and Vaseline), and my sister, a pediatric oncology nurse, says she uses this same combination for her patients at St. Jude's, but has anyone here had success with DIY Vusion? TIA!

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just recently found out that I could DIM. I have bought vusion 2x for DD for $250 each tube due to nasty nasty diaper rash and excema down there. I am planning on trying to DIM when the current tube of medication runs out. So, I am interested to know if it will work as well also.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

I just checked with my sister and she said that they use a tube of purple desitin, a tube of Aquaphor, and a tube of Nystatin cream. That makes a lot of butt cream (of course, she's dealing with a lot of butts). I'm going to hit our local (not a chain) pharmacy to see if I can get some guidance from the pharmacist there.

Did you ask for coupons. I know when we got it our Dr. gave us a coupon for a free tube. Of course that was about a year ago. Before that we had the pharmacy compound it for us. The pharmacy should have a coupounding book that lists the ingredients and percentage.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm a pharmacist and there is no way I would pay for Vusion. It's just too easy to make your own. Vusion actually has a lower stength miconazole then the recipe I use, but nothing has shown that using the OTC preps result higher absorption so I feel comfortable with using a 1 to 1 to 1 ratio. (Vusion has 0.25% strenght miconazole and OTC is usually between 2-4%)

I do equal parts original Desitin, Aquaphor and OTC antifungal cream (what they sell for athletes foot). I've also made it without the Aquaphor and didn't notice any compromise in healing. I usually mix it in small quanities so I don't waste anything. If you are uncomfortable with the higher strength of the antifungal, you can always decrease the amount you put in.

Edited because I inadvertently learned how to make a smiley face thingy
    Last edited by MaiseyDog; 04-03-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

Margaret, thank you!

I have Miconozole (2%), Clotrimozole, and Terbinafine Hydrochloride (1%) - are any of these antifungals better than the others? I will take your advice and just do a 1 to 1 ratio.

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've used all three and to be honest all three have good data for their use in diaper rash. So I would say, use whatever you've got the most of. Keep in mind with all of these, the antifungals are recommended for use only 2-3 times a day so you don't want to use it with every diaper change. I usually use it first thing in the morning, before afternoon nap and then before bed. The other times I just use a regular diaper rash ointment. Also, you want to make sure you clean off the area really well before applying the antifungal mixture. You don't want any leftover Desitin getting in the way of the medicine.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

Okay, I did a 1 to 1 mix of Aquaphor, Desitin (the purple kind), and Miconozole. We'll see how her tush looks in the morning! We are flush with antifungals at my house. Woo breastfeeding!

Double-posting to happily report that this morning, my daughter's tush was *much* improved. We used straight Desitin this morning and I just put another dose of the DIY-Vusion on there. We also gave her a baking soda bath last night, which I'm sure helped soothe things down there.