LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Pitocin/induction question

This isn't for me. Just a little confused about my friend's situation...

DH's best friend and his wife are having their first. I guess she's not quite 41 weeks yet, but they wanted to induce. This is the information I've gotten from DH, by way of his friend.

They went into the hospital on Monday night and gave her "gel" (I'm assuming cervidil). That did nothing, so in the morning they started Pitocin. She was on Pitocin all day yesterday and still nothing. He called last night and said they were staying overnight again and they'd start Pitocin up again in the morning. I guess if that does nothing today they'll do a c/s tomorrow.

Does that make any sense? I've never heard of someone spending 3 nights in the hospital without having the baby!!! I also thought it seemed a little odd that they would take her on and off the Pitocin like that. She was in the shower when DH's friend called, so I guess she wasn't hooked up to anything?

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through such a long process- in the hospital.

Not much help, but I was on Pit for 16 or so hours before I had DD. They had to massage my cervix and rupture my membrane. Pit doesn't do as much for some as it does for others. I will say I had no epi, and the Pit sucked!
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

Pictocin contractions, progressive or not, are nasty. I would imagine that they don't want to stress her body and the baby. I don't know anyone who has stayed that long and not had progress (or a c/s) in that amount of time. Who knows though... I would guess that there are some details missing.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Davids-Coco View Post
    Pictocin contractions, progressive or not, are nasty. I would imagine that they don't want to stress her body and the baby. I don't know anyone who has stayed that long and not had progress (or a c/s) in that amount of time. Who knows though... I would guess that there are some details missing.
    Definitely something missing! The first time I got the details, according to DH (just passing along the info) they were doing the gel, and if that didn't work they were putting her on Oxycontin. I looked at him and asked if meant Pitocin. He said, "Nope, he said oxycontin." Of course, it *was* Pitocin, but I knew right then the info wasn't quite reliable!!!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They probably meant oxytocin, which is the generic name for Pitocin.

This is a failed induction and is not at all an uncommon situation with a first time mom being induced with an unfavorable cervix.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Yup oxytocin (pictocin) for labor; oxycodone later for pain

And then there is oxycotin (or oxycotton or something) that is a massive pain killer where they walk you to the pharmacy around here since it is a big fav of the street crowd.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    They probably meant oxytocin, which is the generic name for Pitocin.

This is a failed induction and is not at all an uncommon situation with a first time mom being induced with an unfavorable cervix.
    OOOOHHHH, okay! Didn't know that was the generic name for pitocin! That makes sense now. Lost in translation!!

i went in on a wednesday and had cervidil. nothing. then pitocin on thursday. nothing. off to eat, sleep, rest. friday pitocin. nothing. friday evening, doc broke water. saturday morning baby boy.

we stayed there the whole time. my doc was pretty adamant against a c/s. so lucky to have him. it was my understanding that it was really about building strength for labor and delivery that had to come soon, we were almost 3 weeks over at that point. eat and sleep to get in tip top shape.

seemed to work. but man was i bloated. my face was completely flat. and my ankles were the same girth as my knees (no lie) i could barely walk b/c of the swelling. had to leave the hospital barefoot, my flip flops wouldn't even fit. i wish i let someone take a pic of me, i'd pay money to see that now. oh, well.
    neeley