DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Deleted............

Deleted............
    Last edited by DrSally; 02-01-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

deannanb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

try nursing her longer on each side - meaing don't switch sides during the feedings -
    (I think this is what I remember hearing one of the LLL leaders tell another mom)
    it was something like, nurse on one side for 4 hours (not for 4 hours straight - but as you nurse) and then for the next 4 hours use the other side

if she is not acting sick, then she probably isn't sick, and I wouldn't give her anything other than BM!

hth - and you find something that works.
    Deanna
    my three sons
    8/95, 10/04 and 6/08

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hmm, I remember having those every now and then but not all the time for an extended period. If she doesn't seem sick or isn't fussy.... I would assume, everything's okay. But I'm no expert with bf'ing or dairy allergies. When your DS was nursing though, did you find that he was fussy when you had dairy, along with the mucousy poops?

I found that when I ate spicy foods, her poop was green--or something that may have irritated her stomach a bit (I remember reading that in A Nursing Companion too). But I never really noticed that she was fussy/cranky.. just weird poop. I try not to eat too many spicy foods because of it though.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

I had the same problem with my 5mo old DS. I read a suggestion on here to nurse longer on one side to get more hindmilk milk in him. He never was acting sick, but I was concerned. I followed the suggestion and he was back to yellow the next day. My DS eats every three hours or so and this is how each feeding goes: eats at first breast, burp, offer first again, burp, offer second. HTH.
    Becky
    Delighted Mommy to the little Jackpot 7/08, sweet baby K 5/11 and baby 3 due Christmas 2012.

Hey Sally, I know I answered in your X-post, but I wanted to address the nursing to get more hindmilk.

The old advice to nurse 15 minutes on each side is out. That should only be used the first few days pp to encourage milk to come in.

Baby should DRAIN one breast before being offered the other. Drain means the breast is small and super soft. The first breast is dinner. If baby is still hungry, then switch to 2nd breast - dessert.

Block nursing is when you nurse baby on the same side for a 3 or 4 hour time frame (I always did 3 hours). Each time baby wants to go back to the breast, put back to the SAME side within that time frame. This allows baby to access the fatty rich hindmilk which takes longer to digest and keeps baby fuller longer and is more satisfying.

Foremilk is like lowfat milk with sugar added. Quenches thirst, but digests quickly and the high carbs are what cause the green poop.

HTH!

p.s. I am posting this in your X-post as well.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Deleted............
    Last edited by DrSally; 02-01-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

I've elminated dairy from my diet since October because of a suspected milk allergy (as well as eggs, soy, and peanuts). I recently reintroduced milk into my diet and my son's poops have changed from brownish peanut buttery poops to greenish/yellow mucousy curdy poops. It seems like the dairy has something to do with it and sounds similar to yours. We didn't notice symptoms of a milk allergy until after he was 4 mo old.