Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Question Need a (adult) cough medicine that works!

For some reason I seem to be overly sensitive when it comes to coughing. I get the slightest cold or a tickle in my throat and I'm coughing endlessly. I've tried a whole slew of meds, but nothing seems to help, especially at night. Right now I have a sinus infection, so I'm coughing so much I've literally lost my voice.

I've tried all the Robitussion ones, honey (only helps for a few minutes), sleeping next to a humidifier, etc. but never have noticeable relief. The doctor even prescribed something for me this time and it's actually worse than the OTC stuff! I just want to be able to sleep without coughing every ten seconds!

Has anyone found a cough medication that seriously works? TIA for any ideas!
    Jen

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Any chance you have asthma??? You sound exactly like me. I take ventolin and steroid spray to get it under control. I'm surprised your Dr. hasn't looked into this. GL
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Tessalon Perles

For the tickle in your throat cough (that is often set off by post-nasal drip--I know, gross) the only thing that works for me is a prescription med called Tessalon Perles. It works by suppressing the reflex in your lungs that makes you cough. For me, it was like the tickle would set off a spasm and then I couldn't stop coughing.

I second the suggestion to get checked out for asthma, though. I eventually learned after my cough lingered, turned to bronchitis, then turned to pneumonia over a period of weeks that I have allergy-induced asthma.

Prescription phenergan (sp?) with codeine.
    Strollerqueen

I have a cough now too. If I still have it on Monday, I'm thinking of going to the doctors. I had the same cough last year and my doctor gave me Hydromet (generic for Hycodan) syrup. It worked great for sleeping. I kept the bottle so I could request the same if I needed it again.
    _______
    BT

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nov04
    Any chance you have asthma??? You sound exactly like me. I take ventolin and steroid spray to get it under control. I'm surprised your Dr. hasn't looked into this. GL
    I also have asthma and the EXACT same kind of cough. It's really scary. The last few nights I have been able to stop the coughing by getting up and eating a bowl of shredded wheat. Ok, I know that's weird but the texture helps soothe my throat...
    I also have a prescription for a nebulizer....haven't picked it up yet though.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Not familiar with the asthma suggestions, but Delsym is my dream cough medicine. That stuff works for me when nothing else makes a dent.

Of course, I haven't been able to take it in a few years b/c of pg, nursing, but I'll just assume it is the same as it was.

None of the OTC stuff worked for me, including Delsym. The phenergan with codeine works pretty well for me.

I second the Tessalon Perles if there is no cause to your cough other than a "tickle". Back in March after bronchitis and pneumonia and tearing an abdominal muscle from coughing so hard (yikes!), I still couldn't shake the cough even once I was supposedly healthy. Those things worked like a charm. I've also had good luck with an inhaler (Albuterol?) to control what my doc said was "asthma-like" effects of bronchitis. Good luck!
    Jessica
    DS 4/06 My Buckaroo "Let's listen to some rockin' out music that's swingy with a beat!"
    DD 3/09 My Sunshine

I can't take much these days except tylenol cold and that worked suprisingly well when I had a cold. Dh swears by delsym and I have to admit that when he takes it his coughing is significantly reduced. Good luck finding what works for you.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast