aes74 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Are Amby cribs really safe?

I have a 12 week old dear little son, who I love but is truly one big ball of cantankerousness. He had up until now only been sleeping in his swing. Since he loves movement, and I am trying to transition him from needing only his swing, my SIL let me borrow her Amby hammock crib. This is his first night in it, and although he was mad as a hornet at first (does not like things out of his routine) he eventually settled into it, fell asleep, and is sleeping peacefully.

Right now he is swaddled (the only way he likes to sleep) in his swaddling blanket, and I worry a bit because the sides of the crib mattress seem so close to his little face due to the way his body sinks in the middle of the mattress. I am afraid that if he rolls at all in the night or he gets upset and begins rooting to the side his nose will burrow into the side and he won't be able to breathe...ugh, any amby users out there with experience and advice in this matter? Is he safe? I am nervous about going to bed and feel this need to hover over him...help!

I did a lot of research on it and found alot of good and positive info. I bought a knock-off made by Arms Reach:

http://www.armsreach.com/shop-3/the-cocoon-14/

I got it from Lullaby Lane with a coupon. I felt it was very safe (I like Arms Reach...we also have a Co-Sleeper).

DD never slept in it...I found it difficult to get her in and out of it w/o disturbing her. We did use it in the living room and dining room when we needed a break. DD could not be in a regular swing until recently.

I saw BabyCenter had the Amby on clearence at a great price...check to see if they still have it!

----

Does the Amby have an adjustable back? Lower it as flat as it will go.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hmmm, no experience with the Amby, but I do know that anything touching my baby's face while sleeping makes them root and wake up.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

absolutly!!!! They are safer than cribs btw.

they are designed in a way that the baby can not roll over in it period.

The amby has excellent reviews, from users and professionals, and has been out for quite a few years (aruond 20 now) I personaly would be warey of 'immitaions, since they may not have the same thoughts put into the finished product.. the inventor of the Amby hammock is still avaialve to answer any of your questions.

The Amby sides ventilate very well, and the mattress is only 1.5" thick (if it's thicker, then it's not the origional Amby mattress) it is also free of poisonous off gasses such as fire retardants.

There has not been one case of sids in the Amby hammock.

the inventor used it for two years with his dd, we did the same with ours. dd is now 4 but I used it for two years of her life. the US website recomends one year, but you can use it longer if you like..

babies who use the hammock become very toned, but also it's self soothing and the less a baby cries the less stress he encounters.

by a cetain age, babies can sit up in the hammock (dd was over a year though) when this happens you need to be aware of your baby, only put them in when you know it's bed time and they settle straight away,and take them out as soon as they wake up (you hear them stiring) it's best to co-sleep with the Amby, that's really what it's made fore

That said, more children come to harm from falling from a crib than falling form the Amby hammock, since it's closer to the floor.

It's much healthier for your babies develping spine to be in the Hammock than the sling.

HTH, you will not find a negative review in regards to safety by the experts when it comes to the Amby hammock, but common sence is needed too.

You can adjust the hammock too, if it doesn't look straing (say, the head end is more down then the footend) then adjust the fabric so it sits better.

all the best

btw, I'm new here, just had to answer your post since we are very fond and expereinced with the Amby

I meant 'swing' not sling a babies spine is much better off in the Amby hammock than a swing, so pleased your ds likes the Amby