Thumbs down WARNING to all owners newer model Peg Perego SIP 30/30 Infant Seats

WARNING to all owners newer model Peg Perego SIP 30/30 Infant Seats. It has two major defects.

1> Defective part causes cuts on baby’s heels and legs.
    2> Defective latch can cause seat to fall out of Pliko P3 stroller and have baby land on ground.

Peg Perego’s SIP 30/30 Infant seat is defective and they have not made registered customers aware of it. They are not taking responsibility for the safety of the children using this seat. They have been aware of the first issue since the beginning of summer 2008.

The first issue with the seat causes cuts. We discovered lacerations on our son’s ankles for over a month but could not figure out what was causing them. On a road trip we discovered a large bleeding gash on the back of his ankle about ¼ the size of a DIME. We traced the source to the SIP 30/30 car seat’s plastic strap cover near the feet. There was blood on the cover and the edges were sharp enough to cut my finger. When I called Peg Perego, it took over an hour to get through to their customer service. Once I did, I discovered over 50 children have already been injured and they anticipate FOUR THOUSAND seats could have this issue. DO NOT follow their instructions to remove the plastic cover until receiving the replacement. The metal latch further cut up the back of our son’s legs while waiting for the part. It took almost 4 DAYS to get the part from them instead of shipping it priority overnight.

It is Peg Perego’s RESPONSIBILITY to inform registered seat users of this dangerous issue, yet they have done NOTHING to warn people. Not even an e-mail. They plan to ship the parts when they have replacement. It has been almost 5 months since they first learned about the issue. How many more children will be injured before they make the public aware of this defect. Since discovering this issue, I have told every parent I see with this car seat about this issue. Their response is normally “I was wondering where those cuts where coming from.”

The second issue with the seat is latching into Peg Perego’s Pliko P3 stroller. The infant seat has two possible latch points. We attached the seat to the stroller using the outside latch. We heard both sides of the seat “click” as explained. While pushing the cart the infant seat fell off the stroller and landed on the sidewalk with our son head down and screaming. We were lucky the stroller wasn’t stopped by a street where it could have fallen in front of a car. The fact it can even latch to something that will not hold the seat, much less EASILY latch, is a SERIOUS design defect that is extremely dangerous to children. It could be fatal.

Peg Perego needs to take responsibility for their poorly designed products and let people know about these issues. Hopefully as a buyer you will review this and evaluate if their products are safe for your children before buying and they are injured.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Please file a report with NHTSA:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

They are the agency which oversees child safety seats and can force a recall. They may want your seat and parts to inspect.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Wow thanks for this post!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default PP Responds

See this post for an update:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=307831

Quote Originally Posted by PegPeregoUSAOnlineAssoc
    If you or someone you know owns a Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30 that was manufactured between July 2007 and March 2008, we at Peg Perego would appreciate hearing from you.

Some of the plastic adjuster covers manufactured during this time have mold flash. Mold flash is when excess plastic leaks from the mold, resulting in an irregular edge. Though the adjuster covers passed the Sharp Edge Test as mandated under federal safety testing procedures and less than .025% of the units produced during this time period have reported the defect, we at Peg Perego don't want to take any chances.

We have sent new, skin-safe adjuster covers to all registered Primo Viaggio customers whose product falls within the manufacturing dates, but we would like for everyone who has a Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30 car seat that was manufactured between July 2007 and March 2008 to have the option of receiving a new cover. If you have not registered your product and would like to receive a complimentary adjuster cover, please contact us at 1-800-671-1701.

Children have not been seriously injured or required medical attention as a result of this defect, so we don't foresee a recall. This is why we need your help in spreading the word. Primo Viaggio owners need to be made aware of both the problem and solution so that children are kept as safe as possible. That's our top priority.

Thanks for helping out!
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)