Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default More advanced read aloud

So after the Magic Tree house thread I wondered what you are reading aloud to the 5-6 yr old crowd. DD is not an early reader, but she has a pretty huge vocab and comprehension and likes the more complicated chapter books. We've read most of Roald Dahl, some English ones like Daisy and Horrible Henry but I'm looking for other suggestions. We have the original Wind in the Willows, Paddington Series, Pooh, but there is a lot where frankly not much happens and I realize I start paraphrasing- maybe I'm the problem!
    Any suggestions, shes not particular about ' gendered stuff' being more into superheroes than princesses at this stage?

Lucy DD 3/03

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Boxcar Children
    Chronicles of Narnia for some
    Beverly Cleary

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Get a copy of The Read Aloud Handbook. It's a wonderful resource. But some things we have enjoyed recently:

Little House in the Big Woods
    Nim's Island
    Half Magic
    Ella Enchanted
    The Tale of Despereaux
    The Mouse and the Motorcycle
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Anne of Green Gables, Charlie and and Chocolate Factory, Little House series.

We also did all the original Pooh, which T loves.

I think I am going to get him Boxcar Kids books to read on his own, I forgot about those.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I think I am going to get him Boxcar Kids books to read on his own
    Sarah enjoyed those over the summer. We did the first one as a read aloud and then she read several more before losing a bit of interest.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber
    Sarah enjoyed those over the summer. We did the first one as a read aloud and then she read several more before losing a bit of interest.
    I think the first few are the best ones...I think some of the later ones are actually not even by the same author?
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I think the first 15 or 20 are by the original author. The others are just formulaic drivel. Which, hey, can be fun at times. I think Sarah lost interest after the first 8 or 9.

Just FYI, they have very sterotypical gender roles and we had to talk about that a bit....

We have enjoyed:
    Narnia series
    Charlotte's Web
    Cricket in Times Square
    Ella Enchanted
    Indian in the Cupboard
    Misty of Chincoteauge
    Baby Isand
    Socks
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

ebjw is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

As a Kindergarten teacher, I would recommend also reading some books that seem more manageable to a 5/6 year old, like picture books. A chapter book, especially one without pictures, can be very intimidating to a child who cannot read yet. You obviously want your child to grow to be a reader, so providing books that they will eventually feel confident in tackling is key. The Kevin Henkes books are wonderful, as are Leo Lionni and Tomie DePaola books. A wonderful resource is Esme Codell's How to Get Your Child to Love Reading. Don't worry about pushing the more mature chapter books yet. That will come naturally once your child develops into a reader. A chapter book series, in color, with great illustrations is Geronimo Stilton. Also, a great series of picture books is I'll Read to You, You Read to Me. These require two readers, so if your child isn't reading yet, maybe mom and dad can read it together to the kids.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS is just starting to read but isn't doing chapter books on his own yet. He's been into read-aloud chapter books since he was about 3.

Some favs here in the past year (DS is 4.5)
    Mr. Popper's Penguins
    Mouse and the Motorcycle series
    Stuart Little
    Charlotte's Web
    Little House series
    Wind in the Willows (I was surprised that he liked this. He mostly liked mischievous toad LOL)
    Boxcar Children
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

We have Ann of Green Gables and Misty of Chincoteague waiting in the wings.

I'll 2nd or 3rd the Read Aloud Handbook. SO helpful for new ideas
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast