Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kijip
    We just got these and a ton of those Junie B Jones books as hand-me-downs from a friend whose child is past them for quite a bit now. T is 5 and I think they are fine for him. It has been hard to find fiction chapter books for him that are at his advanced reading level and at his 5 year old boy social level. Most of the fiction he is reading is pretty easy for his reading level, but I figure he gets challenge from the non-fiction he is reading.
    Any suggestions for ones you've found that are good? That don't have older themes or say shutup/stupid, etc...

shishamo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Magic Tree House

I think Magic Tree House is great for a 5 year old boy who is reading well. Socially it's perfect. My son (who was an early reader) loved it around that age.
    I'm trying to remember what else he liked around that age: he did like Junie B Jones, Ready Freddy, Nate the Great (I think this may be easier reading level), etc. The Droon series and A to Z Mysteries are slightly harder but not that much.

My daughter (who is also an early reader) loved Rainbow Fairies and Junie B Jones she was 5 or so (and she still enjoys them). She was never into Magic Tree House.

I also would not recommend Magic Tree House as a read aloud. For one thing, there are so many great books for read a loud, and secondly, it's really not that fun for adults to read these early chapter books (I just can't!).
    Mom to three kids

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nicknack
    Any suggestions for ones you've found that are good? That don't have older themes or say shutup/stupid, etc...
    Not so much. We are still searching. It seems there are more books geared towards girls at that age.

I will say that the words in Junie Jones bugged me but I realized that T was noting that those words were not nice to use. So he sorted out what he had learned at home and applied those values (don't say dumb or idiot) to the book. So he is able to enjoy them without mimicking them.

We have a ton of non-fiction books on science, geography and historical figures like Martin Luther King, Ben Franklin, Helen Keller etc. Those seem to be suitable for a 5 year old socially but still challenging for an advanced reader who is reading several grades ahead. He loves this one series about what it would be like if you lived when.... like Colonial Times or the American Revolution.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Quote Originally Posted by shishamo
    he did like Junie B Jones, Ready Freddy, Nate the Great (I think this may be easier reading level), etc. The Droon series and A to Z Mysteries are slightly harder but not that much.
    Thanks for the tips.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

More gender neutral stuff around the same reading level as Magic Treehouse are:'

A to Z Mysteries
    Secrets of Droon (Sarah found these too scary after the first 3-4)
    Jigsaw Jones
    Nate the Great
    Moongobble and Me (author Bruce Coville)
    Mercy Watson
    Dragonslayer's Academy (a little scarier and a little more rude humor)

Also the Magic Schoolbus chapter books are great.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My girls aren't here yet, but I save links as I come across them... Some I have heard are good, but I can't vouch for are:

Hank the Cowdog series
    The Time Warp Trio
    Catwings
    Warriors
    Cam Jansen mysteries

Ivy and Bean (more for girls, I think)
    Franny K. Stein
    Bone (? like a comic, I think, but my nephew liked it)

My Father's Dragon series (may be more of a read aloud)
    Redwall series (read aloud?)
    Pippi Longstcking

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber
    More gender neutral stuff around the same reading level as Magic Treehouse are:'

A to Z Mysteries
    Secrets of Droon (Sarah found these too scary after the first 3-4)
    Jigsaw Jones
    Nate the Great
    Moongobble and Me (author Bruce Coville)
    Mercy Watson
    Dragonslayer's Academy (a little scarier and a little more rude humor)

Also the Magic Schoolbus chapter books are great.
    Thanks for the tips. We are just now (last month or two or so) into chapter books read on his own, so I am a newbie to this world.

Trying not to repeat other suggestions, but thumbing through my Scholastic flyer now....

Hank the Cowdog
    Judy Moody (like Junie B, but older grades and less use of "stupid" and not nearly as annoying)
    Stink (companion series about Judy's younger brother....)
    Herbie Jones
    Horrible Harry
    Katie Kazoo
    Geronimo Stilton
    Adventures of Riley (non-fiction, picture book length, but higher level language)
    Knights of the Lunch Table
    Flat Stanley (there are several chapter books in this series)
    The Puppy Place (drivel, but great for animal lovers...)
    Animal Ark (slightly longer drivel....)
    Pony Pals (ditto)

More girlie oriented:
    Sister Magic
    Ivy&Bean

And don't forget that lots and lots of picture books have wonderful advanced language.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Whatever happened to Encyclopedia Brown and Choose Your Own Adventure books? Those were my absolute faves in grade school!
    Last edited by supercalifragilous; 10-19-2008 at 11:15 AM.
    The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least. -Author unknown

Encyclopedia Brown is still around. I forgot about him.

The Choose Your Adventure books were re-released in the last year or so and are available also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast