Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If it's not yeast, try Aquaphor blended with plain Maalox. Keep stirring, the Aquaphor will absorb the Maalox so it goes on creamy.

The Aquaphor provides a barrier, and soothes and moisturizes the skin. The Maalax counteracts the acid in the diarrhea.

Poor baby!

happymomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks everyone for your advice. I went to CVS tonight and got the Boudreaux's Butt Paste. They didn't have the triple paste. I didn't know about the Maalox. I will try that tomorrow if it doesn't lighten up. This really sucks because tomorrow was her first day of preschool. And now she's going to miss it. She was crying so badly every time that she had a bowel movement. I feel so bad for her.

I didn't realize that you can use also vaseline or aquaphor. I knew that asking the moms of this great site would always direct me to the right place. Thanks so much! Wish me luck.

My daughter had a terrible diaper rash a couple months ago. She had an open sore on her bottom and would cry if her diaper was wet/dirty. Our usual go-to cream, triple paste did not help. My doctor prescribed silvadene cream. Silvadene has been used for many years to treat burns. It worked very well for us.
    Hope your little one feels better soon.
    DD #1 5/05
    DD #2 11/07

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I also second the baking soda baths. That really seems to help DS. He even gets the baking soda and says "soothing bath?"
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Hope the rash is clearing up for you by now but if not, here's another suggestion. DS always got AWFUL diaper rashes every time he was on antibiotics. Ped recommended Lotrimin AF and hydrocortisone, but I found that by the time I got those on his bottom, the Desitin or Triple Paste wouldn't stick. So I started mixing the Lotimin and hydrocortisone cream with Desitin or Triple Paste in a small bowl before applying it. It works wonders - takes care of inflamation as well as yeast. I'd mix enough for a day at a time and usually rash would be gone within a few days.

As for Desitin vs. Triple Paste - I honestly have no preference. Both work well imo, so I tend to buy Desitin (must be old-fashioned stinky kind though) since it's so much less expensive.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Vusion Ointment?

I have no experience with this stuff, but just read about it on another site. Might be worth a try? Good luck, hope the bum is better soon!

www.VusionBaby.com

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I second the Aquaphor/Maalox combo. I mix up a big batch in a bowl - one part Aquaphor to one part Maalox. I use a whisk and beat it for a few minutes until it makes a really nice cream. You'll think it won't come together at first, but keep beating.

AIR. In addition to the tips here...let that bottom get some air!!! Get a great waterproof pad, the kind that is soft and fuzzy on top. Lay towels down and the pad on top. Place kiddo on pad sans bottoms and paste free for a nap. Do this periodically. Air heals! Ya gotta get that butt dried out! The pastes work better after this process.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I know someone who cut the bottom out of her son's diaper to let his bottom breathe at night. He (a toddler) slept on his tummy and aired his bottom out all night.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

dms619 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos
    I have no experience with this stuff, but just read about it on another site. Might be worth a try? Good luck, hope the bum is better soon!

www.VusionBaby.com

I took DD to the ped last year and they gave me Vusion, which starting showing good results in 2 days.

Her infection was yeast, so the triple paste I was using was "feeding" the yeast and making it worse.

Good luck.
    Debbie
    Mommy to sweet baby Katie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast