Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by s_gosney
    What I don't get though is the process by which the selsun blue rubbed on the head is supposed to clear the rest of his skin. So I assume that the chemicals are absorbed and then spread? So, if that's the case, I don't know if the CB stuff would work to clear the rest of the skin. Maybe if I use the CB stuff all over it would work?
    I think that is the way it's supposed to work - get rid of the seborrhea and the rash will gradually go away too. Or you could do what a PP suggested, use CA Baby tea tree on his scalp, and CA Baby Calendula cream for the rest of his skin. Good luck!

I think your doctor is crazy. Almost every baby in my circle of family and friends has had some form of the rash/cradle cap combo that you've described during their first three months of life. And for every single one, it was worst between 4-8 weeks and for most the rash part cleared up almost entirely around the 8 week mark. This is very very common. DD2 had terrible "newborn" rash as my ped called it and some moderate cradle cap. Our ped told us the same stuff told by that the the other peds used by my friends and relatives - it really doesn't bother the babies. If it bothers you, you can use a little olive oil on her scalp and brush it with a toothbrush or leave the baby shampoo on for a few extra minutes when bathing her. OR JUST LEAVE IT ALONE and it will go away on its own. At 8 weeks almost to the day, DD2's skin cleared up. Her cradle cap was very mild after that but did not completely go away until about 7 months. I did leave the baby wash in her hair a few extra minutes but otherwise I just left it alone. I don't presume that every baby is the same but at less than 2 months, using Selsun Blue seems insane to me. If you baby is not scratching at the rash then I would leave it alone or see a pediatric dermatologist if you are really concerned about it.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My ped recommends just leaving cradle cap alone.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

s_gosney is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yeah I think it's a bit crazy too. Sometimes though I wish I could just be one of those people who blindly follows their doc's advice without thinking twice...life would be a lot easier. But then I think about all the crazy stuff I would've done over the years if I were like that....Unfortunately dh is like that so that makes life interesting.
    DD has been down with a stomach bug yesterday and today so I haven't made it out yet, but I think if it's not better soon, I'll go get the CA baby stuff.
    Thanks again, ladies!
    Sherri
    dd 10/03 "Mommy I made a video for you. If you want to see it, you should go to kids dot org slash Kylee."
    ds 05/08 who is quite amused by playing peekaboo with the straw on his foogo cup

I don't think your ped is crazy! Really bad seborrhic dermatitis (sp?) can affect the eyes. I think that blepharitis is a result of dermatitis and you do not want your infant/child dealing with that.

I would try California Baby first but then I would use something stronger if it gets worse.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thanks everyone for your input. The cradle cap isn't really very bad (yet), but I will go ahead and treat it with something. The CB shampoo sounds like a good option. What I don't get though is the process by which the selsun blue rubbed on the head is supposed to clear the rest of his skin. So I assume that the chemicals are absorbed and then spread? So, if that's the case, I don't know if the CB stuff would work to clear the rest of the skin. Maybe if I use the CB stuff all over it would work?
    And to the pp who mentioned my diet, I've definitely been thinking about that too (also related to his gassiness and mild reflux symptoms). I stopped milk and ice cream a few days ago, so we'll see if that helps anything.
    Guess I'll go pick up the CB today.

Thanks again!
    I'm thinking your dr. prob meant for you to use the selsun blue on his body on the affected area, as a body wash. However, I agree with pp's about trying something more mild first.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally
    I'm thinking your dr. prob meant for you to use the selsun blue on his body on the affected area, as a body wash. However, I agree with pp's about trying something more mild first.
    You know, that's what I thought too. And then after reading your post I thought again that maybe I had misunderstood, etc. But nope, I looked again at the paper she gave me with a note about the selsun blue and it specifically says "wash hair". Though, being mammals we do have hair all over, so maybe that's what she meant? Who knows...
    Sherri
    dd 10/03 "Mommy I made a video for you. If you want to see it, you should go to kids dot org slash Kylee."
    ds 05/08 who is quite amused by playing peekaboo with the straw on his foogo cup

Quote Originally Posted by crayonblue
    I don't think your ped is crazy! Really bad seborrhic dermatitis (sp?) can affect the eyes. I think that blepharitis is a result of dermatitis and you do not want your infant/child dealing with that.

I would try California Baby first but then I would use something stronger if it gets worse.
    Well, you learn something new every day! That's good info. But here's what I don't get. If that's the case, why not tell me that? (The ped, I mean) Instead she tells me it's harmless, doesn't bother him, he will eventually outgrow it on his own, etc, so then I'm left thinking that a chemical-laden shampoo is way overkill for what she described as a purely cosmetic issue, kwim?

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate the info.
    Sherri

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You know, that's what I thought too. And then after reading your post I thought again that maybe I had misunderstood, etc. But nope, I looked again at the paper she gave me with a note about the selsun blue and it specifically says "wash hair". Though, being mammals we do have hair all over, so maybe that's what she meant? Who knows...
    Hmmm. Oh well. I think I thought this b/c adult porasis sufferers are supposed to use it on their body (I think).
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Does anyone know if the California Baby dandruff shampoo actually works on adults?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast