Default Fever & rash help

Hi there - long time no post!

On Wed DD (13 months) came down w/ a 103.2 fever which w/ ibuprofen came down to 100-101 and would go away and return. She also had a rash on her neck, forhead & chest. Her tounge was funny looking too, had bigger red spots than normal.

I took her to UC last night suspecting Scarlet Fever (DH had been exposed to Strep at work).

Dr. said no it was a Virus and that is what caused the rash. Said she prob. had a sore throat (but her throat was not red). She didn't do any tests.

Today I took her into her Pedi b/c the fever was gone but the rash much worse. She too said it's a Virus.

Anyone ever have this virus?? It is just so weird. DD looks horrible! Dots head to toe now.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Ok, I think it is Roseola. Why didn't the doc just say that. Geesh!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Because it doesn't fit the typical presentation of Roseola. The rash usually appears after the fever breaks, not during. There are over 100 viruses, some named, so not, that can cause rashes in young children. My daughter just had a horrid rash with not fever. There is nothing to "do". If you child is eating, drinking, acting wtihin normal and fever is controlled by meds there is nothing else to do.

Yes, the rash can LOOK horrible, but it is not a big deal.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD recently had a terrible rash with 104 fever. It started as tiny pricks, kind of sandpapery, then changed to red splotches all over, and now it's left black marks that are slowly fading (though I think that will take some time since it's so sunny here).

The splotchy rash and fever was gone in three days and she was back to normal within five. Now we're not even sure what it was or whether it was a drug reaction (I didn't realize drug reactions could cause fevers, but the doctor said it can happen), but most likely it was some unknown virus! Goes to show that medicine isn't an exact science.

Kris

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If it is Roseola, we had that last year. The rash was pretty ugly, but it didn't seem to really phase DS. The fever was the worst part of it, and by the time the rash came, the fever was over.

While he was sick, he didn't have much of an appetite, and just slept a lot. Like pp's said- there isn't much you can do. Just keep them as comfy as possible and wait it out.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

lablover is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was going to say Roseola too. My DS had that around 9/10 months old and the rash did start to come out before his fever broke, but then it really intensified after the fever was gone.
    Mom to:
    DS - 2003
    DD - 2006