Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Frequent blinking - a tic? A little freaked.

Alek has been blinking kind of hard, it looks like a tic, since about Friday. I've been so far thinking it's just a tired thing as he's been waking up early and not napping. It's a little unsettling to see him blink -- think I Dream of Jeanie blinks -- (I'm OLD, people, OLD!!!)

OK, so he's been doing this 4 days now, not frequently but it's not going away. He has also been more crabby than usual but I'm attributing that to not so hot sleeping as well.

Anyone experience this? Do I need to call the pediatrician? Can I relax?
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

No personal experience, but a friend was just last week telling me a story about when her DS was little. He started blinking a lot (and hard like you describe). She took him to the eye doctor thinking it was his vision, but his vision was fine. Turns out that one of his little friends at school had just gotten glasses and was blinking like that during his adjustment period. My friend's DS was just mimicking the boy. Any possibility that he is mimicking something? Could he have vision problems? Seems like it could be any number of things. Personally, if I couldn't find some simple explanation, I'd likely call the ped.

I have really dry eyes and I blink a lot when they are feeling particularly dry to try to get some relief. Could he have dry eyes? Being inside with a/c on really dries out my eyes. Just a thought.

Also, it sounds like you are describing more of a full blink rather than a tic, but my eyes twitch uncontrollably when I'm really tired. I don't think it looks like a full blink though.

Sorry I don't have anything more helpful than that! Hope it resolves soon.
    S
    DD 6/06
    DS 5/09

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Not sure if this is your older or younger son. When DS first learned about blinking/winking he would go around blinking at everyone. However, he also told us that is what he was doing "I'm winking". So, it may be he just figured out how to do this.

DS wears glasses - we had no clue he needed them but since I had glasses since 1st grade (eye patch in K) we took him in for a checkup around age 3 and found he needed them. I don't recall him blinking alot before that.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My DS was 2.75 when he started to do this. I asked the pedi who said it could be a lot of things but was likely nothing to worry about. He has since stopped. It was a couple of months that he did this for. Tics I have read are common at around 3 years old.
    /hillary

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Could it be allergies? My 3.5 yo was doing this in the Spring and it had me freaked out too. I took her to the ped a couple times and he finally concluded she had dry, itchy eyes from allergies and told me to try Zaditor eye drops. They worked almost immediately and she does not do the blinking anymore. Zaditor is OTC, btw and it's approved for 3 year olds.

Val
    DD1 7/04
    DD2 7/07

My sister's boys all have transient tics that come and go. The ped doesn't seem too concerned.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Ds did this when he was a little younger, we had a full developmental optho. eval, which turned out better than 20/20, and it was determined that it was just dry eye-- Maybe the air conditioning is doing it?? for Us, it was the heat, but after the eval, which involved eye dilation, he freaked out about any other drops, making treatment impossible.... he wouldn't let us put anything else in!!
    Holly~Attached mama to Aiden, my happy Pirate & Lillian, my spirited Mermaid fairy
    Cancer survivor!!!! No Evidence of Disease, now and forever!!!

ITA with PP's on allergies and dry eyes - the crabbiness and sleep problems seem to go along with that. Most times I've seen people do the "IDOJ blink" - and I love this description, btw! - it's to give their eyes a chance to clear.

Will he let you do saline eye drops? Might be worth a try.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My bil has a tic.

I'd contact the ped just to cover yourself. Chances are good that it's nothing, but if it is something, you should be on top of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast