View Poll Results: Which allergy nasal spray works best for you?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avamys (fluticasone furoate)

0 0%
  • Flonase (fluticasone proprionate)

7 38.89%
  • Nasacort (triamcinolone acetonide)

3 16.67%
  • Nasonex (mometasone furoate)

4 22.22%
  • other -- please elaborate

4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Loratadine works best for me.

Beth

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I use Rhinocort. I actually had to stop allergy injections because I was having bad reactions to them (and the allergist said if they diluted them any further, it would be a waste of my time). So, Rhinocort, Allegra 180, and Ptanol eye drops. Seems like a lot, but they have worked miracles. i used to have sinus infections every allergy season (for me, April-May and Aug-Sept) and just be miserable. Now, you'd rarely even know I have allergies. Wonderful stuff!

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For those who use Claritin/Loratadine, Sam's Club has it at a ridiculously low price - pretty sure $18.99 for 365 of them. They come in two bottles, so you can easily share with a friend. But we literally pay the membership fee for Sam's because of this - it's more than worth it.

Emily

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm a graduate of allergy shots.... they helped me a TON. But, they're not really an exact science, and some people do better than others with them.

I also take Flonase generic. I used to use Rhinocort Aqua, but my insurance took ALL of these off of the formulary a couple of years ago, so when
    Flonase went generic, I asked the doc to switch. They both seem to work equally well for me.

I will ocassionally use a Claritin, but it would never be worth it to me to buy 365 at a time any more! (In other words, it's hard to use up a small pack before it expires, so obviously, I'm not using much!)
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

I use Allegra-D, Singulair, and Patanol for the eyes. And Motrin for my headaches! It's been a bad season in Metrowest Boston. I just went to my allergist last week.

I can't use nose sprays - they give me a sore throat.

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I voted for Nasacort, but my ENT said that it is the combination of: Singulair, Astelin, and Nasacort is what works. Each one has its own "specialty" so those 3 makes it complete.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum
    Allegra is what works best for me right now, but I started on Dimatapp back in the 70s and have basically taken everything that was developed between then and now. I also use Claritin (otc) eye drops, and Patanol (a prescription). My wonder drug was Seldane, which was taken off the market back in the 90s ,

Interesting -- Allegra is what replaced Seldane. http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00843.html

I remember Seldane.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    Interesting -- Allegra is what replaced Seldane. http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00843.html

I remember Seldane.
    Yes, I know, but it's not exactly the same, and doesn't work as well I would have avoided grapefruit forever if I could have kept taking it! I even had an OTC stash from Canada for awhile as it wasn't pulled as quickly up here, and they wouldn't fill my scrip in the US anymore. Allegra works OK for me, but not great. I can't take Allegra-D, it makes me very shaky and jumpy (I have a sensitivity to the D part). Some men can't take it either because it causes prostate issues.
    ETA - I find that my allergies change drastically from place to place too, right now moving out West is quite a seductive option because of that. Of course, not everyone is going to be able to/want to pick up and move for that sort of reason, it just happens to fit in our career plans for the next few years.
    Last edited by MontrealMum; 05-31-2008 at 01:13 PM.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2