janeybwild is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Constipation and probiotics?

DS is 15 mo. He is horribly constipated which, best guess, seems to stem from his initial lactose intolerance. We have cut way back on milk. His diet is good. Does anyone have specific recommendations on what sort of probiotic to recommend, dosage, and how to administer it? In addition, supplements to diet such as flaxseed oil? TIA

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

probiotics we have used Jarro, Udo's choice and metagenics. All are powder form you can mix it in water or a tiny bit of juice... even in applesauce or in a bottle. jarro and Udos have child specific forms. My nutritionist said both Acidolpholus and Bifidus are important.... different parts of the system I guess. I would start with maybe 1/2 a tsp morning and night.

Flax Oil make sure you buy in the refridgerated section and keep it cold. If you want to try fish oils I recommend Nordic Naturals. They have kids casules with a strawberry taste to them.

Good luck

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Flaxseed oil worked well for us for a while. We just put it in her milk cup and she never seemed to notice or mind it. In the end, though, we had to turn to Miralax, which she's been on for about six months. My advice is to not let the constipation get too bad, because in our experience that led to our daughter's absolute resistance to pooping. It's become a major behavioral issue for us. Not to be alarmist or anything, but I don't want others to go through this if they can avoid it!