Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Anyone give corn syrup for constipation?

DD#2 (6 months old) has been constipated since I started supplementing with formula (I just can't pump enough, plus she has other issues). I'm getting only minimal relief with glycerin suppositories, I believe because her poop is just too hard. Prune juice seems to upset her stomach (she is very sensitive), and she hates the taste. The ped GI recommended corn syrup, which I thought was dangerous. From what I've read, they changed the processing techinique and bacteria isn't a risk, but this is still making me nervous.

Any other constipation remedies are welcome too! Thanks

Val
    DD#1 7/04
    DD#2 7/07

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Have you tried pears or straight pear juice. I buy organic pear juice ( not the baby stuff regular organic) worked wonders on 2 of my ds's and my neice. I would also stop any cereal you may be giving. Im not a big juice fan but pear juice worked wonders at our house.

ETA*** organic flax seed oil will also help ( 1/2tsp a day)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've heard apple juice works.

HTH
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

I used it once or twice with my youngest at the recommendation of a dr.

Here is what I did:

For years, doctors have recommended adding Karo syrup to water for the relief of constipation; and there have been many sighs of relief from anxious parents. Here’s how to prepare “a Karo syrup constipation relief” mix:

Boil a small pot of purified water (preferably in a glass pot to reduce impurities).
    Once the water has cooled, add 1 teaspoon of Karo syrup to 4 ounces of the water.
    Give about 1 ounce of the Karo syrup drink to the child before regular feeding.
    Give another serving later in the day, and twice a day thereafter until the child passes a soft stool.
    Most babies will respond promptly to this method.

Hope it helps!

Ann

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by infocrazy
    I've heard apple juice works.

HTH
    apple juice can be more constipating with some children.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

luvmypeanut is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I never used it when dd was as young as yours but when all else failed (apple and prune juice, flax seed) I tried it and it worked. The ped just had us put it directly in her bottle. I was really really skeptical and worried but all turned out ok in the end.
    DD 4/03
    DS 2/05

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS was about as old as yours when he got constipated from baby cereal - I should have stuck to avocado etc for first foods. The Dr. had us use miralax to get DS regular again, so he wouldn't fear pooping. Then it was pureed pears and pear juice for us too. Now that DS is much older, 3yo, oatmeal with flax seed works for him - but it's the steel cut oatmeal. I think you just have to find the right food that works for your child.

As the others said, cut out all cereal until you find what works, then slowly introduce cereal again.
    Last edited by niccig; 02-13-2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Oops wrong information

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We've always used white grape juice. I thought I remember apple juice may upset their tummies?

My kids weren't fans of prune juice, but it did work very well. Yuck.

Having just gone through this, here is the wisdom I gathered from an array of folks, including the ped. This is mostly for a 2-3 year old, so cut down quantities for babies.

First line of defense
    Daily 6 oz dose of straight fruit juices, no water, so DC gets enough sugar in bowels to collect water. Could be grape, apple, pear, whatever (as long as it's sweet)

When constipated, in order of trial:
    - prune juice, 1T per day straight or in water OR corn syrup recipe as Ann posted
    - 1 t mineral oil per day
    - a mild stool softener (no offense to pp's or their ped's, but I heard repeatedly that milk of magnesia was way too harsh for use in babies)
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Default We use Miralax

My 3 yo DS has been receiving Miralax in his liquid for the past year and really has worked wonders with his chronic constipation. I would not want to use corn syrup b/c I would be worried about cavity formation.

Michelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast