Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How horrible is this??

I know it's bad, but how bad are we talking??

My DS goes thru days where he has eaten ZERO veggies. None. Yesterday was one such day. He *always* eats some form of fruit (last night it was mango). But nothing of the green variety...He does take half a multivitamin, and does very well in other food groups, bread and grains being his "specialty".

Do confess, is my kid the only one???

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: How horrible is this??

Your kid isn't the only one. DS will go days without eating any veggies. And then one night at dinner, he'll only eat the veggie. This just happened last night - he mostly ate broccoli. I think it's great that your son eats fruit every day. I give DS fruit by making it into a smoothie - mostly fruit, a little milk to make it easier to blend, a little chocolate or vanilla powder to make it extra yummy. I've tried giving him cut up fruit, but the usual reply is a head shake and, "Eh, no."
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Sean is *really* picky about fruits and vegetables, so we definitely have those days. He will still eat pureed baby food fruits and veggies (I don't know why), so we resort to giving him those when we are afraid he's not getting enough vitamins. The child LOVES carbs (like his momma) and would eat bread and crackers until he popped if I let him. He'll eat bananas, so I don't think it's a texture thing with him. He's just picky. We did have good luck for a while with the Veggie Patch brand spinach nuggets and broccoli nuggets. They are usually kept near the tofu in the refrigerator case at the grocery. I just asked the ped about vitamins at Sean's two-year check-up on Monday, since I worry about him not eating enough fruits and veggies. The ped said if we really wanted, we could give him a multivitamin a few times a week. He didn't seem terribly concerned about Sean's pickiness, but that may be since Sean measures in about the 90th percential for height and weight. I dunno. Good luck getting Erik to eat more veggies!

Jerilyn
    DS, Sean 10/03

http://bd.lilypie.com/UB6Bm4/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

I find it hard to always have fresh veggies in the house. I only grocery shop once a week. Fresh veggies every day would require at least 2x/week shopping. I'm just not up for that and even when I do fix them, DD doesn't always want to eat them.

DD has plenty of days when she eats no veggies but almost none when she doesn't have fruit even if it's canned. I wouldn't stress about it. Have you tried frozen peas? They're a hit in our house. Lima beans--not so much.
    Last edited by Wife_and_mommy; 05-27-2012 at 08:34 PM.

kath68 Guest

heck no, you are not the only one. I don't worry about it. My ped said that the mistake people make when faced with a toddler who won't eat green is that parents stop offering. So we offer, and we get rejected, almost every day.

But DS is a total mango junkie, and eats other fruits, too. I have also rationalized that Veggie Booty counts as an actual veggie.

One thing we have done re: sneaking green into his diet that works is: we mix jarred baby food with cooked pasta, so it makes a pasta sauce. He can't resist pasta, so he gets the green with pasta even if he tries to smush the baby food out of the way. I have also successfully mixed baby food with Annie's mac and cheese, too. I will also make omlettes with spinach mixed straight into the egg, and smother with cheese. Cheese sauce is always a good way for broccoli to get eaten.

Good luck, and don't worry. Lots of kids make it through toddlerhood without eating anything green.

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

When in doubt, Nathan gets peas.

Also, when it's been a really long while since DS has eaten veggies, I will rinse the liquid off a can of veggie soup, drain well, and give him that. He almost always eats at least some of it, and although it's not my preferred way of getting DS to eat veggies, it's better than nothing.

Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Happens all the time around here. But DS gets fruit a couple of times daily, most days. Our ped said that was fine, that he could get what he needed from fruit and not suffer any long term effects. Though even when DS eats veggies, he'll only eat baby carrots. Oh, well.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nope, so far the only green vegetables Kaya will eat are lima beans (we accidentally discovered this on Wednesday night) and frozen peas. So if your DS will even eat some green veggies other than those two, he's doing better than Kaya. Kaya will eat veggie booty (lol) and then the peas and beans and otherwise it's sweet potatoes, carrots, and fries (lol). She hasn't had any peas today, so no greens today.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...merald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca..._4_Kaya+is.png
    Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No, not at all! Ellie rarely eats ANY vegetables. She loves tomatoes (if you count those as veggies, LOL), but that's about it. She absolutely adores fruit, though, and eats plenty everyday (red grapes, apples, bananas, melon, etc). I don't stress about it at all. As my ped has said, same nutrients as in veggies!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast