cinrein Guest

Default How do they make it low-carb?

I keep seeing all this low carb food now. For example, there is now a low carb syrup that is sweetened with Splenda and has no carbs. How do they do this? Is it like the Olestra fat blocker? I have to admit that IMO, these things fall into the "if it sounds to good to believe it probably is" category, so I have so far avoided these foods. But, I really know nothing about them, so maybe I'm missing a good thing?

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: How do they make it low-carb?

Honestly, I also avoid the "low carb" foods. Since the SBD is not a low carb diet, I don't even look at the amount of carbs. I just make sure any food meets the criteria:

no added sugars/low in natural sugars
    all grains are whole grain
    no trans fats

In general, I am trying to avoid most processed foods. But I'm also not struggling to balance raising a child with working outside the home, so I am in no way criticizing those who feel they need them. But I have found that doing advance planning and prep work has gone a LONG way to improving my eating habits!

HTH,

Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

COElizabeth Guest

Artificial sweeteners make me nervous, too, although perhaps I should be more nervous about real sugar. DH and his parents love Splenda, but I've been scared to try it and definitely wouldn't give it to DS without knowing more. My ILs think I am super picky because I always turn down their diet sodas and Spenda-sweetened ice cream. Does anyone have any good information sources on Splenda. DH keeps saying, "It's just backwards sugar," but that doesn't do much to convince me of its safety!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

peanut4us Guest

yeah... and they thought saccharine was safe once upon a time too. I'm with you on the splenda thing... it seems too good to be true.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, saccharin is still on the market. And numerous subsequent studies have failed to show any link to cancer. I guess in general, I use a fair amount of artificial sweeteners (love that diet soda) and am now a huge Splenda user.

I guess my perspective is that I will take the theoretical risk of artificial sweeteners over the known risks of sugar and the way it contributes to obesity and diabetes. And since I'm not willing to give up all sweets, I guess its artificial sweeteners for me.

But I have a STRONG family history for on obesity and diabetes on both sides of my family. Part of what has gotten my butt in gear was the stuff I read in the SBD book about pre-diabetes. Honestly, it scared the crap out of me, since BOTH my parents have Type II diabetes and high blood pressure and my father also has severe heart disease.

Just my 2 cents and no offense meant,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)