Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Update on Masyn's family

As the anniversary of Masyn's death approaches in about 6 weeks, I've found myself talking about him more and more with other parents and friends, and thought I'd give you all an update since you were so wonderful when he died. I hope you all know how much it meant to me. (For those of you who weren't around last year, Masyn was an amazing little boy who choked to death on a hot dog a few months before his 5th birthday. He was Truman's best friend.)

First of all, you may recall his parents, Angie and Randy, threw themselves into organizing and raising money for a new community park in his memory. Steve and I were on the committee and it was a HUGE success. The response was amazing and the fundraising goal was met and surpassed. The main part of the playground has been erected, but with winter hitting, the rest of it will have to wait until spring. Instead of just a huge playset with a rock climbing wall (Masyn had asked for one of these for his 5th birthday), there will also be ride-ons and picnic tables and swings, etc. We had a community golf tournament and dinner, and out of a 2100 people in the town, between 300-400 participated! It was amazing.

But the really good news is that Angie is pregnant. :) She's due two weeks before the anniversary of his death, but has had a very, very difficult pregnancy. Masyn was intended to be an only child because she's severely diabetic and pregnancy is very rough on her body. Masyn was born almost a month early, and it's doubtful that her doctor is going to let her go full term this time either. So, their new little boy could be born anyday now. If you have any prayers, good thoughts, whatever, that you could send their way, I know they would be appreciated. They've had a series of bad luck hit them in the past few weeks (Randy hit a deer, their pipes burst, their furnace died, and some other rotten things.), and I understand Angie is getting more and more frightened as her delivery date nears. I know it's understandable, but it breaks my heart for her. They are truly good people.

Thanks again,

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Update on Masyn's family

Thank you so much for the update. Because of Masyn, I will always be extra careful with the foods that are choking hazards - especially hot dogs. And I'm very happy that Angie is due to give birth fairly soon. I'll pray for her and her family.
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

Thank you for the update, Jeanne.
    I have thought of Masyn many times. The story of his life, death, and the way his parents and your community responded afterwards is so vivid in my mind that it is hard to believe it's been almost a year.
    Sending many wishes for a peaceful anniversary of his death and a healthy and joyful birth of the Angie and Randy's new baby.
    The playground is such a wonderful way to honor a boy who died way too young. Hugs to you and your family too, Jeanne. I know this must be a hard time for all.
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow, that's incredible that it has been a year. I think of Masyn and his family often and wish them great joy and love as they welcome their new baby.

When Ethan was being born, I burned my candle for Leah to honor and remember her. It was very meaningful for our family to cherish her memory at the moment of his birth. I wonder if you might want to do something like that for Masyn. I can't describe what it's like, but it's lovely. In the thickest, hardest part of my labor, I watched Leah's light and remembered her with love, and well... that sticks with me. SHE sticks with me.

-Rachel
    Mama to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...ethyst_36m.gif
    Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
    10/19/05
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions...smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better." - Maya

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks so much for the update. I've often wondered about his family and I'll say a prayer for them as they near the end of this pregnancy. What happened to Masyn prompted my DH and I to get certified in Infant and Child CPR last year...a few weeks after my certification, we had a pretty serious choking incident with my DD and while I didn't have to use much of my training (her airway was never blocked and she eventually swallowed and passed what she choked on), I was so grateful that I'd had the training. I've always thought that the way Masyn's family has celebrated his life (through the fundraising/playgroun) was so admirable and I'm so happy for them that they're expecting another child.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been thinking about Masyn a lot lately. I think it's because DD is getting to be such a big girl and I think that I don't have to worry as much about certain things - like choking - as I did when she was little. Then I remember Masyn.

I'm so happy for his parents! I can't imagine the joy, pain, stress, excitement, and anxiety they're going through right now. I wish them well. I hope that a healthy little baby arrives soon - but not too soon. Masyn's family is always in my thoughts, but I'll make sure they're in my prayers, as well.

Thanks so much for the update!

Thanks for the update Jeanne. My eyes are severely watering just reading your post and thinking about Masyn and his family. I wish them well, and hope Angie has a safe and uneventful remainder to her pregnancy and delivery.

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

Jeanne, thanks so much for posting an update. I'm sending good wishes to Masyn's family for the safe arrival of his sibling. Hugs to you and to them as the anniversary approaches.

-Ry,
    mom to Max the one year old
    and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

I am beyond thrilled to read she is pregnant. I have been saying a prayer for them every night that I actually remember to say my prayers :)
    Please keep us posted.
    Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
    #2 Kate 04-26-06

Jeanne, thanks for the update. I'm still so impressed with the amount of grace Angie and Randy showed in the midst of such grief. I cannot imagine. I am so thrilled to hear that they are going to meet their new little boy soon, especially considering how difficult the process is for them, physically and emotionally. I'm sending them lots of good wishes and hope for their future.
    Erica, mama to Lucas Owen 1/11/05, Finn William 2/22/08 and Ethan James 2/10/10

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast