andersons54321 Guest

Default Any suggestions on what to send a mom with sick nicu baby?

A dear sweet lady I know has a very sick baby in the NICU. She has been at the hospital with the baby for weeks now. Her parents are staying with her and she has meals coming for the next month or two. I would like to send a little more than a card but I wasn't sure. Thanks

Default RE: Any suggestions on what to send a mom with sick nicu baby?

I found the gift certificates for one of the restaurants in the hospital really helpful. When I needed a break or the doctors were rounding (they talk about all the babies so parents have to leave for confidentiality) I could go get a drink there, or on mornings I didn't have energy to pack a lunch (most of them, I was pumping at night) I would go there without feeling bad about the money. Notes of support were great, gift certs to get film developed, offers to help with other things like laundry, cleaning etc. I'm sure she'll appreciate that you are thinking of her and her DC.
    Alaina
    Alex Feb '03

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

When Jason had his surgery, we lived at the hospital for 10 days. One friend gave us a restaurant gift card, which allowed us to get out for an hour and have a decent meal. You tend to get pretty stir crazy after a while. Something for the baby would be nice- a little stuffed animal,balloons- check w/the hospital to see what is ok. Ours even allowed mobiles for the crib. I know you said she had meals, but I'm guessing that you mean waiting at home- you could bring something like muffins to the hospital with a carafe of coffe. If you bring enough for the nurses, they tend to be a little extra nice to baby.

When Jason was born, people acted pretty strangely sometimes- they just don't know what to say, kwim? I would have appreciated anything "normal"- just someone to come hang out and talk about regular newborn stuff with. Everyone acted sad, but I wanted to make sure there was happiness surrounding his birth too. I don't know if that will make any sense, but hopefully it will!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS spent 50 days in the NICU and due to complications from my surgery, I was unable to drive...or do much of anything. In my case, the greatest "gifts" were rides to the hospital at 7:30 a.m. and rides home around 8pm. Meals were great, of course, and I was so appreciative every time a friend asked to join me for a visit to DS in the NICU. It was wonderful for me to share my little angel AND I somehow felt better knowing that someone understood how and where I spent my days.

I agree that a GC would be lovely - anything that might help with food, baby care, etc. It would also be quite a gesture if you were to somehow offer to do something after your friend no longer has such help at home. Could you offer to help with grocery shopping, errands, etc.?

Sorry, I'm typing as quickly as I am able to think with a busy toddler.

My best to that baby!
    Stephanie

andersons54321 Guest

Thanks for the oonderful ideas. A gift card seems the way to go because I live so far away from my friend. Thanks everyone!

When my own DD was in the NICU, I remember hours and hours of sitting around with nothing to do (the hospital was 3 hours from home and I hadn't had time to pack much). Another option that you could send relatively easily is magazines, novels, crossword puzzle books, etc. -- they really helped pass the time for us. I hope things go okay for your friend and her baby.

Ellen

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Maybe you could fill one of those flat-rate boxes from the post office with goodies, (like Ellen suggested, magazines, novels, etc.) and send it her way. That way you could really pack it in there, and not have to worry about weight costing you more in shipping. Does you friend have a camera with her? Maybe you could include a couple disposable cameras, too.

Kelli
    Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)
    And a new baby due Christmas Eve, 2006

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34503.jpg Weaned after 3 years!

http://bd.lilypie.com/8dPKm4/.png

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD was born at 29 weeks and was in the nicu for 9 weeks. A gift card to a Starbucks might be nice, an easy way to take a break. You don't say if the baby is a tiny preemie, but if so a nice gift might be some preemie clothes. They can be hard to find in B&M stores, but easier online, and your friend might not have had time to look around. I know when we put DD in some "real" clothes she felt much more like "mine" IYKWIM.

Babygap sells some cute preemie stuff online that they don't carry in the store. I don't know anywhere else offhand but I think a search will turn up a bunch of places.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD was not a premie, but I second the vote for some cute premie clothes. DD was quite big at birth(8lbs9ozs), but she grew slowly and it seemed like it took forever for any of her clothes to fit. And gift cards for various places to eat or get snacks woul dbe nice, too. Or a general care package with a little outfit, a smallgift card (even for the cafeteria at the hospital) and/or a disposable camera, etc.