Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Please calm me down....

My grandma got shingles on her feet. Very painful, but a ped. nurse told me as long as you don't touch the spots you're okay. Since dd almost never comes into contact with her we did visit, with no ill effects.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Boys.. :-)

DS1 was 2.5 yrs, DS2 was 11 months. DS2 had a moderate case - he wasn't covered solid, but had them all over. He really didn't seem to notice, except for a few days of rubbing his eyes. We only used Benadryl 2-3 times and gave him oatmeal baths every night to keep them clean. The worst ones were in his diaper area, so it was hard to keep clean. He does still have scars from the worst ones and that was almost three months ago. They are slowly fading and I expect he won't have any permanent scars. Most aren't visible anyway.

DS1 was vaxed, and only had about 10 spots. He didn't even know he was sick. ;-)

We didn't go out of our way to have DH give it to them. We were on vacation and his case started on the way back. We spent 10 hours in the car together that day. His were on his face, so they were not covered. Two weeks later DS2 got them and two weeks after that was DS1.

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

calv is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Sorry, opps. I knew you had sons and NOT girls. Thanks so much for replying! :) oh wow so it took 2 weeks for them to appear?

Yep the incubation time is 10-21 days, with it usually appearing about 14 days after exposure.

hmmm, we saw my IL's on the 21st. That was the lat time. Darn it why couldn't they catch it natrually vs. me having to freak out whether I should expose them or have them vaxed!!!!!!!!!

We visited my DH's grandpa when DS was 3 months old. We didn't know that his grandpa had the shingles until we got back from our stay with him. DS#2 did end up coming down with a fairly mild case of the chicken pox a few weeks later, but DS#1 didn't get it (he had been vaccinated). It sounds like we'll have to get DS#2 vaccinated anyways just in case he didn't get enough of the chicken pox at his young age to be resistant to it in the future.

Although my son didn't seem to be too bothered by his chicken pox, it's hard to know because he wasn't old enough to scratch the sores. It was a major inconvenience for me, however, because I didn't want to go anywhere (not to the grocery store, restaurants, church, playgroups, etc.) in case my son could spread it to other children or pregnant women who had never had the chicken pox. My son was also left with a little scar on his tummy from one of the sores, so personally I wouldn't recommend intentionally trying to give a child the pox (unless you're very anti-vaccinations).

Just my personal experience...

Just FYI, you can have your son's titer tested to see if he is immune to CP and avoid the vaccine if you want.

I'm really surprised that she would feel well enough for a cruise! That said, we had a shingles scare (turned out to be poison oak) with my mom, and our ped said don't worry, the exposure is to chicken pox.

funny you mention that I'm starting to wonder if it's really the shingles that she has. I know they're doing a blood culture but she won't know further info until FRI!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2