Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default OT... Any bakers that can help me

Or did anyone get the Martha Stewart magazine with the spread on Monkey parties! I am trying to figure out how to make this cake

www.marthastewart.com/pag...&site=kids

I figured it would make for some cute pics to make a small version for Aidan's smash cake! Anyone a baker and have advise for me?

Thanks
    ~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

juliasmom05 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: OT... Any bakers that can help me

I couldn't open your link, but if I found the cake you were looking for, it looks like you could make the head in a small ovenproof bowl, and then use either a small round cake pan or muffin pan (depending on the size of the oven proof bowl) and cut that cake in half for the ears. You can probably stick the ears on with frosting or with attach them with a wooden skewer. It's very cute and I think it would make a great smash cake.

edited to see if this is the cake you were referring to.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33032.jpg

I made this cake for my son's first birthday party last year. It's a lot easier than you might think. I used a pyrex bowl to bake the head in. When you invert it on your cake platter you can 'shave' it a little to make a better head shape KWIM? Then I used a cupcake cut in half (frosted) and stuck in on with toothpicks for the ears. I LOVE this cake.
    I had done a Wilton cake decorating course years ago and I still have the tips. I had one with multiple holes in it that I used to make the hair on the monkeys head. Tint some vanilla frosting yellow to make the mouth section. If you don't have decorating bags you can used a plastic sandwich bag instead. Just snip off the corner (as much/or as little) as you need. I hope this makes sense. Here is a picture of my cake - thr frosting could have been smoother but I ran out of time. If you have any questions let me know.

YES! That is the cake I was referring to! thanks a bunch!

~Tondi

Ahhh ha! A glass Pyrex bowl.... I knew there was a bowl out there I could use!!! Thank you!

I am not a baker... I've never made anything more than cookies so this should be something new! I hope I don't screw it up! :)I may have questions for you when I try it out! I think I may do a trial run first!

~Tondi

It would also be easy to do as multiple mini-cakes. Wilton makes a muffin-type pan that is half circles, and you could use cookies to make the ears. That is super cute!
    Susan

Thatcher Bennett 9/01
    Ava Grace 9/07