Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IUD

ribbit1019 Guest

Default IUD

I plan on getting the non-hormonal version at 6 weeks PP. I was hoping a someone that has or had one of them could tell me more about it.

Specifically did you have any lasting comfort issues?

How uncomfortable was it getting it put in?

Did it work? (i.e. any pregnancies?)

If you have had it removed was that overly uncomfortable?

Was there any interference with your sex life (physically or libido)?

I know there are two out there, a copper one and another. What is the benefit or risks of one over the other?

I think that is all. DH and I just weren't great at condoms and got pregnant with Little Man a lot sooner than planned. We want to avoid getting pregnant for at least 2 years and hormonal contraceptives make me super loopy. I am considering other options too, but this one seems to have the least amount of hassle associated with it and appeals to my laziness.
    Thanks!

Christy
    Maddy born 6/09/04
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
    http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png
    Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

Frogs are lucky, they eat what bugs them.

MegND95 Guest

Default RE: IUD

I've had my Mirena IUD for almost two years and I love it. Heck, I should get a cut from the company for my frequent product plugs.

I found insertion to be no more uncomfortable than a pap smear. Mine was done 6w pp, and I took an 800mg Motrin prior to my appt, which might explain why I found the procedure very tolerable. I had some minor cramping in the day or two following.

I've had no problems with regard to discomfort during sex or a decrease in libido. At least nothing that I can't attribute to raising three kids!

I did have some really irritating spotting that lasted for almost a year after I got the IUD. From what I've read and been told, it's very common to have some spotting for 3-4 months after. My situation was unusual, and I almost had it removed. My MW and everyone in her practice was so enthusiastic about this type of bc, I kept it, and have had no problems since.

One of the reasons I picked the Mirena (which has localized hormones and is good for 5 years) is that it can significantly lighten periods. I have not needed anything more than a liner, and my periods last for maybe 3 days. I also have very little cramping or other PMS related issues.

For me this bc is the perfect solution. I don't have to think about a thing, and I have virtually non-existent periods! Can you tell I love it??!

There have been other threads in recent months about IUD's, which will provide more information that what I've given.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I too am considering an IUD and my OB suggested the Paragard over the Mirena.... she said so many patients complained about the spotting/bleeding for months and months... not usually a problem with the hormone free Paragard, although in time the Mirena makes your periods very light or non existant where the Paragard can make them a bit heavier. My neighbor has the Paragard and is very happy with her BC! Let me know how it goes when you get it.... I'd love to hear!

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

dr mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't have an IUD myself, so this is just my observation.

I've had to remove a couple of Paragard IUD's because of heavier menstrual periods and cramping, but I've never had a patient ask to have their Mirena removed. (OTOH, I haven't had anyone with a year of spotting, either - that would have made me reconsider it, too!)

Regarding interference with your sex life - be sure your provider doesn't cut the strings too short, if they're a little long you won't notice them, but if they're too short it can feel like a stiff whisker poking your partner in an, ahem, delicate spot.

Taking them out is easy - grasp strings and pull - no one has ever complained to me about much discomfort with this. Placing them may cause more cramping, again I have not experienced this personally, but I've been told by patients it feels like heavy menstrual cramps at worse.

I know there was an excellent thread on this recently...
    Cindy, Mommy to DS 2/04 and DS 2/08

cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do not have an IUD but am researching them right now. Here is a great thread that I have bookmarked.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...opic_id=203641

HTH~
    Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    and Isabella 12-18-04

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm the poster child for the "if something can go wrong it will", so let me preface with that. If you don't really want to know the downside, skip to the next message! :)

I had the non-hormonal IUD - perhaps Paragard. My very well-informed, current, etc ob/gyn, who I loved (I've since moved, or would still use her), suggested it, and after some research I happily concurred.

She had trouble putting it in - not terribly surprising, as I have a very small/rigid (?) cervix, and had a very retroverted uterus. It was really uncomfortable - close to painful - when she inserted it, even though I had taken a Vicodin first at her recommendation.

I had *bad* cramping right before my first period (never happened before or since) - like almost-passing-out-from-pain bad. My first 3 or 4 periods after were much more uncomfortable than usual. I also couldn't work out the first couple of days of my period - if I did, I would get a strange cramping about an hour after, which can be a side effect, and was definitely related to the IUD.

On the good news side, I never really felt it, it didn't impact libido/intercourse, etc.

To continue my string (no pun intended) of bad luck, when it was time to take it out (which we knew we were planning to do after a year or two) it had migrated to my peritoneal cavity (didn't know I had one of those!) so it had to be removed hysteroscopically - under sedation. Not a bad procedure, but not the normal one either.

Having said all of that - I hit just about every complication possible. Even knowing it, knowing my options at the time I likely would choose it again, as I'm definitely the exception.

Good luck making your decision - and hope I didn't scare you off.

Sarah1 Guest

I have the Mirena. I had it put in around Thanksgiving, and I am loving it. Other than some annoying spotting for several weeks after insertion, it's been trouble free (hopefully I won't jinx myself by writing this). HTH

babymama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm planning on getting the Mirena in a few weeks.

A friend of mine had the non-hormonal one and she got pregnant after 3 years. It was a huge shocker to her and she was an emotional wreck for most of her pregnancy.

Lydia
    Mama to Santiago, my 2 yr old monster
    and new baby girl, Solana, born 12/26/05
    I'll figure out how to update my avatar someday!

spanannie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have the Paragard (Copper, no hormones). I've had it since 6 weeks PP. I did have a lot of cramping for probably a month...and spotting...after insertion, but it hasn't bothered me since. My doctor has a HUGE practice, and he says none of his patients have ever gotten pregnant with it. I think it is such an excellent form of birth control, and am really surprised that there are so many mothers that opt to use BCPs over the IUD. It doesn't make any sense to me; that is my opinion though. I think a lot of people are afraid of IUDs, since they had their problems in the old-days. The IUD has come lightyears since then, though, and is perfectly safe. I'm very happy with my choice.
    Annie ~
    Mom three Junebugs: 9, 7 and 3

wagner36 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had Mirena put in at about 12 weeks postpartum with Charlie, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Here are my answers:

>Specifically did you have any lasting comfort issues?

None at all. I never noticed it once it was in.

>How uncomfortable was it getting it put in?

About as bad as an internal exam when you're 9 months pregnant.

>Did it work? (i.e. any pregnancies?)

No pregnancies - I had it removed and got pregnant with this baby on the very next cycle.

>If you have had it removed was that overly uncomfortable?

Not at all - honestly, they just yank on the strings a little bit and out it comes.

>Was there any interference with your sex life (physically or
    >libido)?

Not at all.

Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast