spanannie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Great Cookie Recipes!

I'm going to a cookie exchange this weekend, and I need to make 4 doz cookies. I'm not a big baker, so I don't have any recipes of my own. Anyone have any great cookie recipes to share?

Thanks!
    Annie ~
    Mom three Junebugs: 9, 7 and 3

Default RE: Great Cookie Recipes!

Hi. There was a similar thread a couple of weeks ago. This is the recipe I posted:

Coconut macaroons:

Beat 2 eggwhites w/one half teaspoon vanilla until soft peaks form, gradually add 2/3 cup sugar beating until stiff peaks form.
    Fold in about 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut (1-2 bags).
    Place by rounded teaspoons on greased cookie sheet. Bake in 325 oven for twenty minutes or until edges lightly brown.
    Transfer to wire rack.
    If you're feeling adventurous you can dip the bottoms in melted chocolate.
    One batch makes about 30 cookies

You might want to do an advanced search to find the original thread. I think Petra had a recipe for butter cookies that sounded REALLY good.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

mama2galpals Guest

these were cookies we got as a favor at a wedding that were incredible! they were wrapped in a white box with ribbon and were heart shaped (two with the filling inside and little holes around the outside). i'm planning to make some for the holidays in snowman shapes.

swedish cream wafers

1 cup unsalted butter
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt

mix butter cream flour and salt thoroughly. roll 1/8th inch thick between wax paper. keep on wax paper. put on cookie sheet. chill until firm.

remove top sheet of wax paper. cut into one inch squares or cut out whatever shape you want. place on nonstick cookie sheet.

fork twice each square. sprinkle with sugar. bake from 7 to 9 minutes 375 degrees

cool on wire rack.

cream filling

1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    6 tablespoons of sweet butter
    1 1/2 teaspoons of heavy cream

blend together till creamy.

make sandwich of two cookies with cream in between.

rita
    mommy to
    olivia '97
    stella '00
    emma '03

the truth can hurt your feelings, but lies can break your heart.

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

mama2galpals Guest

these were cookies we got as a favor at a wedding that were incredible! they were wrapped in a white box with ribbon and were heart shaped (two with the filling inside and little holes around the outside). i'm planning to make some for the holidays in snowman shapes.

swedish cream wafers

1 cup unsalted butter
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt

mix butter cream flour and salt thoroughly. roll 1/8th inch thick between wax paper. keep on wax paper. put on cookie sheet. chill until firm.

remove top sheet of wax paper. cut into one inch squares or cut out whatever shape you want. place on nonstick cookie sheet.

fork twice each square. sprinkle with sugar. bake from 7 to 9 minutes 375 degrees

cool on wire rack.

cream filling

1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    6 tablespoons of sweet butter
    1 1/2 teaspoons of heavy cream

blend together till creamy.

make sandwich of two cookies with cream in between.

rita
    mommy to
    olivia '97
    stella '00
    emma '03

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is the easiest recipe ever - no baking required and the cookies are delicious. My mom used to make them all the time when I was a kid. Someone made a similar cookie at a cookie swap I went to recently with peanuts and I think peanut butter, but IMO these taste much better!

Nutty Noodle Cookies

1 bag (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 bag (11 or 12 oz) butterscotch chips
    1 can chinese noodles (5 or 6 oz)
    1 - 1 1/2 cup(s) chopped walnuts

Melt all of the chips in a large bowl in the microwave. Start with 1 minute and stir, then microwave for 20 seconds at a time and stir frequently until melted (don't overmelt). Add noodles and nuts and stir until coated. Cover cookie sheets with wax paper and drop by the spoonful. Refrigerate the cookie sheets. Put cookies in a freezer baggie and store them in the freezer. You can eat them right out of the freezer or sit them out for a bit first if you prefer.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

spanannie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You know, my mom used to make those, too! Those are really good...I think I may have to make them.

Thanks!
    Annie ~
    Mom three Junebugs: 9, 7 and 3

CiderLogan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I asked a question about cut-out cookies a few weeks ago. Here's the thread:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...3814&mode=full

I ended up making the Land O Lakes recipe, and I loved them! I am going to make some more today for a cookie exchange on Sunday.

Last year at this cookie exchange one person did chocolate dipped pretzel sticks - I was thinking what a great idea that was - easy but cute (and yummy).

Jenny
    Mom to Julia, 8/03
    ...and another one due 5/29/06!

mama2galpals Guest

Default RE: 1 more thing

oops i forgot to add you dip them in sugar before baking
    rita
    mommy to
    olivia '97
    stella '00
    emma '03

You could make the chocolate pretzel sticks look really festive by rolling them in colored decorations or crushed candy canes before the chocolate sets. My dad received some that were white chocolate with crushed peppermints... they were so cute almost like a Martha Stewart type thing.

MsKitty