Default ISO good birthday cake receipes

So last year I started a trend of make-it-yourself birthday cakes and now I feel compelled to keep up the tradition. Last year I just used a box cake and everyone said it was good, but this year I'd like something a little more exciting. I've seen receipes where you take the basic box and then add a few ingredients to it. Any one have any suggestions?

Maryann
    Momma to Ean...the little love of my life!
    AND Baby #2 EDD 01/08/06!

bunnisa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: ISO good birthday cake receipes

I made this one into cupcakes for DS's birthday.

http://www.recipezaar.com/31804

It was perfect! So easy too! Use really great cocoa powder for the best flavor.

You can sub the buttermilk with milk & lemon juice (I don't know the proportion, you'd have to look it up).

Bethany
    mom to one and one on the way!
    http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
    "And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
    -J. Torres

cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Buttermilk & chocolate is always a great choice --- rich flavor!

To sub milk & lemon juice for buttermilk, measure 1 cup of milk and remove 1 tablespoon of it (discard). Stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes, then it's ready to use. You can also use plain white vinegar instead of lemon juice.

cinrein Guest

The cookbook The Cake Mix Doctor is awesome. It's all doctored up recipes that start with a box mix. I've made several and they are good. There is also a Chocolate By the Cake Mix Doctor book. :)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I second the Cake Mix Doctor books. It's the only way I make cakes now! There's a website, too http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/ that has some recipes on it. Happy Baking!
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

elf Guest

If you want to make cakes from scratch, I highly recommend the cake recipes in "The Best Recipe" from the writers at Cook's Illustrated. It is not terribly difficult, and they come out perfectly every time.

(This is an incredibly useful cookbook with many great recipes. Cook's Illustrated is like a Consumer Reports of cooking, and they really test all their recipes. They also review equipment.)

If you want to stay away from the Trans Fats in cake mix, the "Perfectly Chocolate Cake" on the back of the Hershey's CoCoa can is very easy and always comes out great. The Frosting is the best, too!

My recommendations are the cake mix doctor(see PP) for easy stuff and king arthur flour for from scratch (www.kingarthurflour.com). I actually broke down and bought The Bakers Companion from King Arthur because their recipes are so good. My husbands favorite cake is the amaretto one from the cake mix doctor, its tastes a lot like pound cake with a kick.

My favorite homemade frosting is chocolate marshmallow. It was used in a rocky road cake with marshmallows, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans sprinkled over the top. The cake fell into the category of "that was a pain and I'm never doing it again" but I loved the frosting. I usually make the frosting right away after mixing up the cake as it needs to chill for a half hour or so before beating it fluffy.

Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
    1 1/2 sticks real butter
    scant 2 cups miniature marshmallows
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    3 to 4 Tbsp milk

Melt butter on stove. Add marshmallows. Stir until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in other ingredients until blended and smooth. Scrape into a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until cold and very firm. Beat with mixer on high for 3 minutes. Add a smudge of milk as needed until smooth and creamy.

My theory is cake tastes good as long as its fresh so I use a mix. Store bought frosting can be pretty nasty so I try to make that from scratch if I have the time. Homemade cream cheese frosting and coconut frosting used in german chocolate cake are both worth taking the time to make as well as the above chocolate marshmallow. If I'm really pressed for time I make a bundt cake, melt chocolate chips with a little milk or liquor, and drizzle over the top for a cake that looks like you fussed but was really quick. :)

MsKitty